Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Not on the Ivanhoe list and the serial number is surrounded by 97 riots in SRS.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    Not on the Ivanhoe list and the serial number is surrounded by 97 riots in SRS.
    You do realize that there was never any such thing as a "trench gun"? They were all riot guns. Officially. There is no way that gun is not 100% right.
    Being on the "Ivanhoe" list means absolutely NOTHING.

3. Default

It was never a riot gun. It is a totally correct and mint WWI trench. Learn from this grasshopper.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    I think he means it's not an Ivanhoe if it isn't on the list.

What does "Probably more than 7000" mean?
    That's about how many "honey do's" it would take to convince the wife. One for each dollar it is going to cost.

5. Default

It's over $3k.
    When I hear a politician use the words "common sense" in relation to firearms, I prepare myself to hear something really stupid.

scosgt: The narrative states
    "Some experts believe that the U.S. markings were applied to Trench Guns issued to the Post Office and Federal agencies"

Do you agree with this statement?

I just picked up a WWI Trench, that is in SRS as issued to a federal prison in 1939. It has the handstamp US and bomb on the right side of the receiver.
    Thanks,
    Keith

Although the Ivanhoe story is cool and is in fact proven military provenance, the individual collector gets to determine what added value (if any) that story brings. There was an Ivanhoe at the last Wanenmacher's show a few weeks back. Better than average finish wear, a few scratches here and there. Also had rack/unit markings on the stock, can't remember if hand guard was Pat. Applied For or dated. Price was $8500 if I remember correctly, with bayonet. Not worth that by far in my book. It was still there when I left.
    I lean toward US marked M1897s being Military issued guns rather than guns issued to Post Office.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by keith smart View Post
    scosgt: The narrative states
    "Some experts believe that the U.S. markings were applied to Trench Guns issued to the Post Office and Federal agencies"

Do you agree with this statement?

I just picked up a WWI Trench, that is in SRS as issued to a federal prison in 1939. It has the handstamp US and bomb on the right side of the receiver.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    No one knows. And no one is left alive to solve the mystery.

9. Default

Why would they stamp an Ordnance Bomb mark on a gun for the Post Office or Federal prison?

If you look at the WW1 1897 trench guns with the hand stamped US/Ord Bomb marks, many, if not most, are earlier made guns (i.e., in the 670,xxx serial number range). Most of the later serialized guns do not have the hand stamped marks. In fact, some of the later made guns were not even produced until after the War ended. Maybe these earlier made guns were actually issued and therefore were marked with the US/Ord bomb while the later made guns did not get issued before the War's end. We probably will never know the exact answer.