Thread: Krag Carbine.

Default Krag Carbine. Model 1896

Looks to have been sanded at one time & repairs to handguard? don't know the reason for that? Ghost of a cartouch, and 2 inspections. Barrel is nice and shiney, ME-1. 22" barrel, all looks right. http://imgur.com/a/wTHqI
    Any thoughts on this one?
    Last edited by 1563621; 04-17-2016 at 03:30.

No comments?

That's a very nice looking Carbine. Have you shot it yet?
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Should have a chance this week. looking forward to it.

Funny... for all of the Krags we see shooting in the Vintage Rifle Match at the Nationals, I have yet to see a Carbine competing! Let us know how she shoots - maybe yours could be the first!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Funny... for all of the Krags we see shooting in the Vintage Rifle Match at the Nationals, I have yet to see a Carbine competing! Let us know how she shoots - maybe yours could be the first!
    I'd think it was a case of attempting to squeeze out the last bit of accuracy (longer sight radius) and reduce recoil (even if only slightly) than any other reason. Of course that is offset a bit by a longer bullet time in the bore, but I don't think the absence is due to scarcity or random chance.

I don't either. I just think it's because that longer barrel provides, as you said, a last little bit of accuracy and reduction of recoil. I would think, however that they shorter 22 inch barrel would make Off Hand a heck of a lot easier, as you've not got that looooonnnnnnnggggggg barreled Krag pulling you down by the front!

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    I don't either. I just think it's because that longer barrel provides, as you said, a last little bit of accuracy and reduction of recoil. I would think, however that they shorter 22 inch barrel would make Off Hand a heck of a lot easier, as you've not got that looooonnnnnnnggggggg barreled Krag pulling you down by the front!
    I guess it depends on your particular offhand position, but when I was shooting gallery (50ft. indoor) I liked a bit more mass up front. Of course, that was shooting off the fingertips with a hip rest - which may not be allowed in your matches? Do you have to use a hasty sling with elbow clear of body? I KNOW that a palm-rest and hook butt-plate are not allowed! [GRIN]

Nope... Not as far as I know :-)

I usually rest the stock on my reversed hand just ahead of the receiver. No slings allowed, but I do wear a shooting coat, which helps keep your back straight and stiff. To be honest, the weight of the barrel isn't really a problem if I don't hold position too long. And also, resting the rifle between shots helps too.