Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I think Chuck may have come up with the answer - it would probably be possible to measure whether ALL of the impact centers fall within the range of a bounced rod; if they do I'd bet that's it. The block face should be hard, too, though. Also, remember that these were essentially test guns - maybe it was a controlled experiment at the Armory to see what kind of abuse the block would stand? Somewhere I have seen instructions warning that the soldier was NOT to "spring" the rod in the bore, but do not recall the exact time-frame, or specific model. Best part about it is that the "damage" is totally concealed and can be exhibited (or not) at your option.
    I don't know if anyone can tell, but I coated the back end of the rod with oil and then brought it into repeated contact with the breech block face to see how well the dents matchup with where the rod made contact with it. It's a match. So, as we suspected, the damage was indeed caused by the tip of the small end of the cleaning rod. Quite possibly it was indeed a test of some sort on this rifle.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 04-29-2016 at 09:48.

Well then, thus it shall be - unless/until someone comes up with a better theory!

I can see where the metal had been forced over into the firing pin hole which would've impeded the firing pin tip from coming through the hole cleanly. This had been opened up again by somebody afterwards to allow the firing pin to function and putting the rifle back into serviceable condition. Yep, probably one of the tests that these rifles went through.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-29-2016 at 12:44.

I suspect it was some Kid in the 1950s, playing 'Davey Crockett at the Alamo', bouncing the wrong end of the 'rammer' off the breech-block face of "Old Betsy", cause he like the noise it made!!!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-29-2016 at 02:23.

That's OK. I'll just replace this breech block with another in better condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    That's OK. I'll just replace this breech block with another in better condition.
    Well, if those old rumors are to be believed you are probably the only person in the world with a spare!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. I spoke with my cousin via facebook yesterday and sent him photo's of mine to compare with the other rifle. He said he'd follow up on it for me.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-29-2016 at 03:30.