Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I've handled three, and seen at least partial pictures of maybe 5/8 more. Most have been pretty decent, though 133 had heavy salt & pepper pitting and zero remaining blackening, when I encountered it in 1992.

While not having seen full pics of all specimens, I can (modestly I hope, since it is ALL luck of the draw - you don't get to make a choice) say that 62, even though it has some rough patches, shows the sharpest edges and least wear (as opposed to abuse from poor storage) of any specimen that I have, even partially, observed.

Apparently there was some sitting rust on the midpoint of the outside bow of the trigger guard of No.127 and on the lower sling swivel too where it rested against the trigger guard, and there is pitting on that area also. Otherwise, it all looks clean.
    Last edited by Fred; 04-15-2016 at 10:00.

Attached Images Attached Images

Slamming down of the Breech Block instead of lifting the thumb latch while closing the breech Block has resulted in some wood loss to the area of the thumb latch seat.

Also, someone has lowered the hammer down while the breech block was open, resulting in a dent from the hammer on the top of the lock mortis.
    But like the gouged out chunk of wood in the butt of my Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield, I can live with it.
    Now I'm going to have to hand load some 50-70 rounds again with my Dixie 450 Grain mold and a box or two of Dixie brass and some large rifle primers. Can the primers be bought on line like Powder?
    Last edited by Fred; 04-15-2016 at 11:19.

You know Dick, I'm thinking that I'm going to get one of the type I Springfield Armory Sharps 50-70's. I've wanted one since the mid 1970's and finally getting this one has primed my interest in that type again. Just that one rifle. Nothing more. Honest. I really mean it. This time I really do. Yep.

Thanks for all the pictures. I agree that the lock has not been removed for a very long time. Interesting that some of these exist outside of a museum. I appreciate you sharing the pictures. I know that you and Dick have very advanced collections. It's wonderful that you are able to document these for future collectors.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Glad you're enjoying the photos Tkacook!