Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1868 Project Carbine

Default My 1868 Project Carbine

Here are a few photos of my project 1868 carbine. Let me say there is no attempt at faking anything here and I am intentionally using some incorrect parts. No one will ever see this and think an arsenal put this together. Even so, my initials are inside the barrel channel. I'm still fitting the spindle spring and spindle so that is why the hinge pin is not where it belongs. Thank you to Dick Hosmer for the suggestion on the front sight. I purchased the base and made the blade (Yes it's brass. Doesn't look that way in the picture). Silver soldering has always been difficult, but I think it turned out well. I will post an update when it's finished. It does pop a primer seated in the 50-70 case.

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tkacook; 04-23-2016 at 06:51.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Coming along nicely. I'd have done a couple of things a bit differently, which still would not have made it look TOO much like a real one. The front sight should be closer to the muzzle, and the forend tip (I'm assuming that is a spliced-on piece since the gloss is quite different?) needs to be a bit longer and "fuller" (less upward slant which gives it a pointy look). Other than that it looks great and should be fun to shoot.

My project, making up a dummy M1882 Short Rifle to hold my genuine rod-bayonet, is progressing VERY slowly. The rib (graciously contributed by "11mm") has arrived, as well as a 191K (close enough) receiver for which I traded. Stock and barrel have been cut to length, but I haven't done any work on it recently.

Dick,

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure on the front sight placement so I used the measurement of the front sight on the rifle barrel. Do you know the original distance? I might attempt to move it.

The stock was purchased as is from eBay years ago. It was a musket stock in it's former life. The only thing I did to it was inlet the sling bar. I wiped the stock down with oil before I took the picture, so that may be why the front looks shinny. My now almost 12 year digital camera does not always accurately reproduce things. Having fun and I do think it will make a good shooter. I will replace the rear sight ladder at some point.

Please be sure to post pictures of your project.
    Last edited by Tkacook; 04-24-2016 at 08:02. Reason: correction

Yes, the sight is easily the most "jarring" feature when you look at it. The rifle base is further to the rear so as to provide a more secure lockup for the bayonet sleeve. Dimension from muzzle is about .124" for the rifle, but only about .82" for the carbine. Hate to suggest that you move it, but truly think it would make a big improvement.

Yes, I will post photos of my replica.

Again thanks for the additional information. I shall move it. I am assuming that first measurement is 1.24" for the rifle and .82" for the carbine? I looked again at the picture in your book and I should have gone more by that.
    Last edited by Tkacook; 04-24-2016 at 09:23. Reason: Typo

If you could find a cut down rifled musket stock or a cut down 1868 stock, it'd look even better because the stock you have now has no lock Mortis.

My stock was heavily sanded at some point. Maybe I will stumble across a better example. For now it will suffice.

Dick, I moved the sight. I do believe it looks better. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

You work too quickly for me!

Yes, it looks better, but that appears to be a rifle base (I didn't blow the first pic up - my bad, sorry). Did you get it from S&S? I think they have both styles. Rifles are square and quite low, carbines are slightly tapered and a bit taller. That one looks like a bit of both. Also, to be prototypical, the .50 carbine blades were sort of rounded at both front and back. The profile you have made did not come in until later. Nit-picking, I know!

Since you just want it for a shooter, it's probably not worth the trouble and expense to move it again.

I'm doing what I can this weekend as it's going to be a busy week and I have another trip planned for next weekend. I figured I would try and get as much done as I could.

I measured the distance from the muzzle, and it's pretty close to .82". I did purchase the sight base from S&S. The paperwork says that it's a carbine base. I might try and change the profile a bit on it. The blade is an easy fix as I made that one.

Thank you for the comments. Always fun to learn more about these.