Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please help on a COLT 1908 Hammerless???

My cousin, who is even less computer savy as me, asked me to seek help on a project he is considering.??

He is thinking of purchasing a Colt Model 1908 Auot Hammerless pistol, S/n19478.
    But the barrel in it is very bad and he would want another.

His research tells him the gun by that S/N is a 380, but he needs to know the year of manufacture?
    Something about a cut-out for the extractor???

Any info would be appreciated??
    Thanks

All the Colt Pocket Hammerless pistols, the .25, .32, and .380, were in their own serial number range, but the slide should be marked with the caliber. Colt Pocket Hammerless .380 number 19478 was manufactured in 1914/15.

Thanks ever so much.
    I will let him know

Here is the problem.
    The gun is in a shop 30 miles away and he dont remember seeing the caliber on the slide?
    Does that serial number also denote the caliber?
    And if so is there any problem getting a barrel?
    Might they be interchangable between calibers.
    He just dont want to buy the gun and then cant get a usable barrel??
    Or have a problem getting the correct barrel?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Here is the problem.
    The gun is in a shop 30 miles away and he dont remember seeing the caliber on the slide?
    Does that serial number also denote the caliber?
    And if so is there any problem getting a barrel?
    Might they be interchangable between calibers.
    He just dont want to buy the gun and then cant get a usable barrel??
    Or have a problem getting the correct barrel?
    Thanks
    As noted, each pistol had it's own serial number range. There would be a .25 ACP serial number 19478, a .32 ACP serial number 19478, and a .380 ACP serial number 19478.

The pistols haven't been made in 70 years*, so finding a nice barrel won't be easy. Also, the .380 production was not as high as the .32, with approximately 4 times as many .32's as .380's made. The pistols are essentially identical, but the .380 magazine won't go in the .32 pistol.

I believe I would investigate the availability and price of .380 barrels before purchasing the pistol.

*Colt is having someone produce the Colt Pocket Hammerless in .32, but they are pretty pricey.

Thanks again for the info.
    I believe that is what my cousin trying to do. Determine just which barrel he would need, and then try and locate one before purchasing the pistol.
    I am his only access to the internet, and that ain't saying much as far as I am concerned.
    But guys like you are a big help, and thanks again.

Would not a 1908 be a 1908 because it is a .380 ?
    A .32 would not be a 1908 , but a 1903 . Correct ?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    Would not a 1908 be a 1908 because it is a .380 ?
    A .32 would not be a 1908 , but a 1903 . Correct ?
    Chris
    Colt did not use the year as a model, which was added by collectors. A 1908 could be a .25 ACP or a .380 Auto. A Model 1903 could be either a Colt Pocket Hammerless .32 or a Colt Pocket Hammer in .38 ACP. Something like calling all Colt .45 ACP pistols a Model 1911.

By using the collector added designation there would be two Model 1903's, and two Model 1908's.

From a Colt brochure dating to around 1920.

Both models were in production up until WW2. The 1908 model was used to describe a .25 ACP and the pocket .380. Barrels can be found on ebay from time to time. Also GPC sells them and asks about the thickness of the extractor to have their replacement barrel fit. Wouldn't be in to big of a hurry to replace a pitted barrel with these. One of mine that I use for daily CCW has pits, but shoots just fine, give it a try first.
    Chris

Thanks for the help so far, but I'm still cornfused??
    Got a Numrich Arms parts catalg and it lists several (4) different 380 barrels. They seperate them by the extractor cut but dont say if it is the width or depth of the cut???
    Also they say Type A ?? Aluding that there must other type(s)??
    Finally some by serial number,
    Everytime we call Numrich no one there knows how to help?? Even the first time we called they said ( no offense. but a woman) they didnt sell those barrels??
    Just trying to get it right the first time.
    Any help would be appreciated very much.