Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Does the handle turn part-way then jam - or not turn at all? Factory ammo or handloads? Headspace checked? Chamber thoroughly cleaned or maybe has some hidden debris? Do fired cases appear normal or have odd dents/scratches?

Without answers to these questions it's pretty much impossible to offer more than guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Does the handle turn part-way then jam - or not turn at all? Factory ammo or handloads? Headspace checked? Chamber thoroughly cleaned or maybe has some hidden debris? Do fired cases appear normal or have odd dents/scratches?

Without answers to these questions it's pretty much impossible to offer more than guesses.
    It is catching before it even picks up a round from the magazine. Initial push (I guess it would be called) of the bolt before it has traveled a 1/2 inch. Once it starts to feed the round everything works as advertised. Bolt closes fine and it extracts just fine. All rounds in a six inch bull at 100 yards on the initial range period. This is the rifle: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...on-1903-A3-NIB
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

I still believe the problem is the ammo itself. After checking, I did find that the Greek ammo was the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    Only when attempting to close the bolt on a round fed from the magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    It is catching before it even picks up a round from the magazine. Initial push (I guess it would be called) of the bolt before it has traveled a 1/2 inch.
    This isn't entirely clear. Does the hangup happen even when the magazine is empty? When there are cartridges in the magazine but before the bolt contacts the case head? After the bolt contacts the case head? Does it happen on all five rounds from a full magazine?

Put a snap cap in the magazine and watch carefully as you slowly slide the open bolt back and forth through that first half inch. Can you see where the bolt may be binding? Does the ejector move freely. Can you easily slide the snap cap forward toward the chamber with your finger?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

If I'm understanding your issue correctly, then I have an Remington A3 that does the same thing. Any lateral force on the bolt at all, makes it "stick" at the beginning of the bolt throw. If you push directly in line with the bore it will run pretty well. Ultimately I swapped bolts until I found one the ran better than others. It is a 03 double heat treat bolt. Still isn't perfect however. I really suspect that my rifle is a little out of spec somewhere. It is a fine shooter otherwise.

I just purchased a Remington 03A3 that seems to hang up a little also (Guess I'm just used to the buttery smooth Krag bolt). Like Allen above, I find that it moves somewhat jerky/sticky unless I am very straight with it. I used some white lithium grease (ala Garand lubrication) on some of the sliding parts, and that seemed to help some.

The smoothness of the bolt is one of the areas where the Krag has it over Mauser designs in spades!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

"...Rifle is like new..." That mean it's recently built/assembled?
    "...Best guesses..." Like m1903rifle says, it's bad headspace or bad ammo. Bad headspace may be caused by the chamber not being finish reamed correctly.
    Bad ammo will be determined by what ammo it is. Isn't as likely as bad headspace though.
    Check both before you start doing anything else.
    Spelling and grammar count!

[QUOTE=IditarodJoe;453860]This isn't entirely clear. Does the hangup happen even when the magazine is empty? When there are cartridges in the magazine but before the bolt contacts the case head? After the bolt contacts the case head? Does it happen on all five rounds from a full magazine?

QUOTE]

What isn't clear? I wrote that it tries to hang up as the bolt starts forward. It hangs up in the first 1/2 inch of movement, before it contacts the case in the magazine. What in the first 1/2 inch of movement is liable to make the bolt hang up?
    FBI Rangemaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...Rifle is like new..." That mean it's recently built/assembled?
    "...Best guesses..." Like m1903rifle says, it's bad headspace or bad ammo. Bad headspace may be caused by the chamber not being finish reamed correctly.
    Bad ammo will be determined by what ammo it is. Isn't as likely as bad headspace though.
    Check both before you start doing anything else.
    "Rifle is like new" means just as it came from the factory. No this isn't a recent build.

Headspacing and bad ammo are not the causes. This is happening in the first 1/2 inch of the bolt going forward. Once past there it is smooth and flawless in operation.
    FBI Rangemaster

indexing can be an issue.
    if the extractor cut is off a bit, it will drag on the extractor and or bolt.
    try removing the extractor, no round..and see how well it works, if it works smoothly, then install the extractor and check again..hangs up?
    the extractor cut may have a bur or be off a bit
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.