Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Bolt Hard To Close 03-A3

A friend bought a 03-A3 yesterday. He shot it this morning and had difficulties with the bolt. The bolt is hard to close, like it wants to hang up and needs several attempts or a rather stiff push or hard thrust to close. Rifle is like new. Doubt it has had more than 50 rounds though it. Will post pictures latter. Best guesses as to the problem. We do not see and shiny spots or scoring on the bolt that would give us a starting point as to the problem.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

My o3A3 does the same thing, but, not 100% of the time. I just thought it was the brass differences. I handload and full lenght size all my 30-06 brass. In my case there were no shiny marks or other marks on the brass. All loads are mild.

3. Default

I have had similar problems with some Greek ammo we were issued at a local Garand/Springfield match. Never had problems with my loads in Winchester brass.

Look at the front face of the extractor. You will see a small bevel that allows it to snap over a chambered cartridge's rim. The finish and angle of that bevel can often be improved with a little careful work using a fine round abrasive stone (manually or very cautiously in a "Dremel" tool). This may ease the problem when cartridges are single-loaded directly into the chamber.

If the hang-up occurs when cartridges are fed from the magazine, smoothing/deburring the inside edge of the extractor hook may help feeding, as can polishing bolt face and feed rails.

If the problem happens even when closing the bolt with empty mag and chamber, check condition and function of the bolt sleeve lock and the point it contacts on the receiver bridge. Wear (or stacked tolerances) here can prevent the lock from camming in far enough to uncouple the sleeve fully from the bolt.

A more detailed description of the malady could aid diagnosis. Does the handle turn part-way then jam or not turn at all? Is the chamber being directly single-loaded or fed from the magazine? Factory ammo or handloads? Headspace checked? Chamber thoroughly cleaned or maybe has some hidden debris? Do fired cases appear normal or have odd dents/scratches?

Quote Originally Posted by 1903nm View Post
    I have had similar problems with some Greek ammo we were issued at a local Garand/Springfield match. Never had problems with my loads in Winchester brass.
    Lot 1156- HXP - 70. Rounds from this lot have been found to be a bit tight in my GI bolt rifles, but still usable. Nothing noticeable in the M-1's. In my custom barreled A3 & M1917 sporters it is useless as those guns have been purposely chambered on the short side of spec. FL resized and trimmed, it works fine in the sporters.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc69 View Post
    A friend bought a 03-A3 yesterday. He shot it this morning and had difficulties with the bolt. The bolt is hard to close, like it wants to hang up and needs several attempts or a rather stiff push or hard thrust to close. Rifle is like new. Doubt it has had more than 50 rounds though it. Will post pictures latter. Best guesses as to the problem. We do not see and shiny spots or scoring on the bolt that would give us a starting point as to the problem.
    The problem is only in the closing of the bolt on a live round, but not on the extraction of a fired casing?

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Look at the front face of the extractor. You will see a small bevel that allows it to snap over a chambered cartridge's rim. The finish and angle of that bevel can often be improved with a little careful work using a fine round abrasive stone (manually or very cautiously in a "Dremel" tool). This may ease the problem when cartridges are single-loaded directly into the chamber.

If the hang-up occurs when cartridges are fed from the magazine, smoothing/deburring the inside edge of the extractor hook may help feeding, as can polishing bolt face and feed rails.

If the problem happens even when closing the bolt with empty mag and chamber, check condition and function of the bolt sleeve lock and the point it contacts on the receiver bridge. Wear (or stacked tolerances) here can prevent the lock from camming in far enough to uncouple the sleeve fully from the bolt.

A more detailed description of the malady could aid diagnosis. Does the handle turn part-way then jam or not turn at all? Is the chamber being directly single-loaded or fed from the magazine? Factory ammo or handloads? Headspace checked? Chamber thoroughly cleaned or maybe has some hidden debris? Do fired cases appear normal or have odd dents/scratches?
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    The problem is only in the closing of the bolt on a live round, but not on the extraction of a fired casing?
    Only when attempting to close the bolt on a round fed from the magazine.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

Weak follower spring or improperly installed follower?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I'd take the guts out of the bolt and try to feed a live round from the mag. If it still hangs up, take off the extractor and try again. You should be able to narrow down the problem that way.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike D; 04-14-2016 at 05:32.

10. Default

Is it short chambered? Have you checked the head space?