Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, 1896 carbines had inspection stamps.

I could see some individual who couldn't afford a original 1896 going for your carbine. Heck, a few years ago, until I did find a "real" 1896, I might have been interested myself.

You can take Dick Hosmer's comments and opinions to the bank!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

Actually the word Model is not there, just 1896 Springfield Armory

3. Default

100_2655.jpg100_2657.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by loco_engr; 04-13-2016 at 06:06.

4. Default

Where would they be and what do they look like? Thanks

Model 1896 Carbines are found with three different markings: "1895", "1896", and "Model 1896". All occur in the same place on the receiver. The least common of the three is the plain "1896".

Those marked "1895" have some small physical differences to the bolt and extractor, while the "1896" and "Model 1896" marked arms are basically identical to each other.

The word "Model" was added at around 37100, however, they were running rifles at that time - the known plain "1896" carbines occur in the 32,000 - 34,000 range.

The rifles I've seen are marked on the left side of the stock aft of the trigger. Typically the marking would be "J.S.A." in script letters over the year of production, all inside a rectangular box with beveled corners. I'm guessing your carbine would have been marked the same way.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 04-14-2016 at 04:22.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

7. Default

Thanks for your response. I don't see any markings on the stock. The barrel band has an "U" and that is the only markings I see, not counting
    the 1896 . . .

That doesn't surprise me. It seems your grandfather was interested in fixing up the rifle for shooting rather than collecting. To me, that makes it much more personal. (Are you sure you don't have any uncles or aunts or nephews or nieces who would like to keep it in the family? )
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

9. Default

Hard to find evidence that it was my Grandfather that he was the one that modified this carbine! Plz respect that!

'loco_engr' - If your stock lacks an 'Acceptance Cartouche', it was either sanded heavily and is no longer visible or the stock was replaced, at the Armory or in the Field. Replacement stocks did not require the 'Cartouche'.

The front sight base on an 1896 carbine barrel and on an 1899 carbine barrel will appear the same. The Blades may be different heights, (depending on which carbine rear sight was last employed). All U.S. Krag carbines have 22 inch barrels and identical contours.

FWIW - I don't believe anyone has been disrespectful regarding your grandfather. Back in the 1920s and 1930s Krags could be bought for $1.50. There was no dishonor in altering a Krag to make it more convenient for 'Hunting'.

BTW - The 'peep' sight on your Krag is a Redfield #102-K (earlier ones are marked 'Western'). These are referred to as 'No-Drill Sights', because they used an extra long side-plate screw and the magazine cut-off lever hole as mounting points. No new holes were required.

Does your 1896 carbine stock have a 'carbine sling-bar' or evidence of the inletting having been filled? If not, it is a later replacement stock (around 1900) that dispensed with this feature to bring the 1896 carbine more in line with the model 1899 carbine.

GB'96 carb3.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-14-2016 at 09:54.