Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Uhhh - so far as the "low-balling individual" comment is concerned - you need to realize that you have, in the eyes of 99% of the collecting world, 'damaged goods'. I do not mean to be hurtful, or rude, just realistic, but, the work done (innocently, as a proud owner) to the gun has deeply damaged its' value.

A great many Krags have a similar history, since they were available at extremely low cost, and made excellent hunting rifles.

Do your daughters have children? I'd think long and hard before passing off a family keepsake for the measly sum you will obtain - once gone, you can never get it back.

Just my $.02 - based on 45+ years of serious collecting.

2. Default

I appreciate your honesty. What's your take on the front sight, original or replacement? Thank You

Blade definitely aftermarket - base inconclusive from angle presented. Need to see interface between base and barrel - so - that means an angle view down from the top. FWIW, it LOOKS OK from the side, but cannot be sure.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 04-13-2016 at 06:53. Reason: speling

Not quite the angle, or the detail/close-up, that I was hoping for, but, that looks to most likely be correct. If it isn't, it is certainly quite well done.

5. Default

Care to post a pic of your front sight?

'loco_engr' - Enlarged and brightened, your front-sight base appears correct for a Krag carbine barrel. The Blade, as others have said, is a commercial replacement. (I have brightened your photo and supplied a photo of my 1899 carbine front-sight for comparison).

aaa sight-base.jpgkrag'99-blade.JPG
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-13-2016 at 05:26.

7. Default

Question: Did the 1896 Springfield Armory Krag Carbine have any cartouches on the stock?

8. Default

Appreciate your post, but mine is an Model 1896