Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

'loco_engr' - Looking at your first photos again, your altered Krag carbine stock is the replacement (circa 1900) 'long-forearm' type. These were replacement stocks, similar to the 1899 carbine stock and would lack a 'cartouche' and carbine sling-bar. They use the same barrel-band and longer hand-guards that were used on the model 1899 carbines.

aaa-engr.jpg

2. Default

Appreciate your input. About the 'carbine sling-bar', I do not see anything on the stock for any thing that might have been inletted, not counting around the barrel band for the locking bar (not sure of the correct name). I'd appreciate a pic of what you are referring too. The peep sight does have "Western" on it.

Look back one page at my post on page 3. I posted a photo of the 1896 stock 'sling-bar'.

Your stock has been 'sportered' from a later 'long forearm' carbine replacement stock, (circa 1900), and did not have a 'sling-bar', because the cavalry had gone to a saddle scabbard. There was no need for it to receive a 'cartouche stamp', because it was already accepted into service.

In the early 1900s some model 1896 carbines were 'updated' to look more like model 1899 carbines (photo).

(p.s. The main difference between rebuilt '96 carbines and model 1899 carbines is the '1896' action and the stock cut for its bolt-handle).

krg'99carb-ed.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-15-2016 at 09:44.

IMHO: Your carbine 'morphed' - to summarize: The OP's Krag carbine started life as an 1896 carbine (photo #1).

It was updated in the early 1900s with a 'long forearm' 1896 carbine replacement stock (photo#2).

In the 1920s or 1930s it was 'sportered' for Hunting. The stock was thinned and 'checkered', the rear-
    sight and hand-guard were removed. The Western 'peep' sight and commercial front-blade were put on (photo #3).

aaa '96 carb1.jpgaaa long fore.jpgaaa engr-0.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-15-2016 at 10:16.

5. Default

Yep! Can't argue with that. So not so much a collectable, but a dang good shooter.
    Long time ago, while shooting at one of those orange sticky backed circles, app 31/4 inches diameter, standing, app. 25 yards, put a rd app. 1" inside at 10 o'clock.

6. Default

I appreciate everyones help & input.
    I'd be interested what would be a fair price to ask, 2 boxes of ammo included.
    Thanks All

IMHO - Around $500 - parts value.

8. Default

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    IMHO - Around $500 - parts value.
    That's a LOT of money (IMHO) for what one would be getting, Chuck, even though I know you have a personal soft spot for Krag sporters.

You are probably correct, Dick. I was considering the 'Western' No Drill Sight worth $100, $30 for two boxes of ammo, and a 1896 carbine barrel & action worthy of possible restoration @ around $370. (We all know what a 'Money Pit' that is)!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 04-16-2016 at 12:21.