Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Krag Carbine Model 1896

Hello All! New member here from NE Kansas

I am seeking help getting an fair evaluation of the Model 1896 Springfield Armory carbine I own.
    s/n 33540 is within the original carbine range.
    22" barrel
    Forearm doesn't appear to be original, but the checkering appears to professionally done (IMHO)
    Rear sight has been removed and the replacement fill-in screws where ground off to fit flush, were done buy
    a hack. Butt stock has a cleaning "string" enclosed.
    Will sell with ammo (Modern loads) 1 Box 150 gr, 17 rds 165 gr soft point
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

Receiver is the only item not damaged or altered. Valued only for parts.

3. Default

Unless receiver has been altered, then value is low.

400. or so.

Hmmmm $400 would be the upper end of that. Sanded and altered stock, non-standard front sight blade. rear sight holes filled (not too good) with cut and filed screws... and filing has removed bluing from the barrel, the barrel looks like it's unclean or possibly corroded (at least in the muzzle area), etc. I would go $300 or less.

Also, ammo boxes look like something someone threw together. If they are reloads, I would only consider them for the brass, and break them down. Who knows how they were loaded. I won't trust any of my guns - ESPECIALLY my Krags - to ammo that someone else (other than factory) has loaded. I mean no offense by this, but I know someone who was almost killed shooting something that someone else loaded - AND loaded wrong!

Just my $0.02
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Welcome to the CSP forum loco_engr. I'm always fascinated by the ways in which those who came before us chose to modify, and personalize, what were at the time inexpensive surplus guns. Possibly one of our more knowledgeable members will be able to tell us whether your receiver and barrel began life as a rifle or carbine. The workman clearly wanted better sights. Whether this was for hunting or target shooting we may never know, but if this was originally a full length rifle it wouldn't seem to make much sense to cut it down to carbine length for target shooting. I'm curious to know how the bore is and, most importantly, how it shoots.

All in all, it's a neat looking little gun. A skilled smith could redo the filling of the rear sight holes so as to be virtually unnoticeable. When you say the forearm doesn't appear to be original, are you referring only to the checkering or does the wood appear to be spliced? The fact that the prior owner scratched his social security number into the butt plate adds some interest. I for one would enjoy seeing more pictures, just to admire the piece for what it is. Thanks for posting.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    Welcome to the CSP forum loco_engr. I'm always fascinated by the ways in which those who came before us chose to modify, and personalize, what were at the time inexpensive surplus guns. Possibly one of our more knowledgeable members will be able to tell us whether your receiver and barrel began life as a rifle or carbine. The workman clearly wanted better sights. Whether this was for hunting or target shooting we may never know, but if this was originally a full length rifle it wouldn't seem to make much sense to cut it down to carbine length for target shooting. I'm curious to know how the bore is and, most importantly, how it shoots.

All in all, it's a neat looking little gun. A skilled smith could redo the filling of the rear sight holes so as to be virtually unnoticeable. When you say the forearm doesn't appear to be original, are you referring only to the checkering or does the wood appear to be spliced? The fact that the prior owner scratched his social security number into the butt plate adds some interest. I for one would enjoy seeing more pictures, just to admire the piece for what it is. Thanks for posting.
    From what I have seen, the forearms all had a grove. It looks like the forearm was sanded down to remove the grove before it was checkered. The ssn was my grandfathers. I have shot it app. 23 times, hence the partial 17 count box of ammo. Still has the buttery smooth action. According to research I have done, the s/n falls within the range of carbines, 24709-35792

From what I can see, the front sight post appears to be an original installation, although we would need to see a close-up of it's attachment to know for sure if it was Springfield Armory work or not (indicating a possible cutoff barrel). Likewise, the stock appears to be a modified carbine stock. If it is a true carbine (and my guess would be it is), there is a possibility of returning it to military condition, but it is an expensive undertaking. Stocks ain't cheap, nor are carbine rear sights. Still, it could prove to be a great shooter as-is to someone who wanted a sporter for hunting or range fun!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

If it were my grandfather's rifle, I'd never part with it! Possibly get the area of the rear sight holes redone. Then shoot it, enjoy it, care for it, and eventually pass it on to a younger family member. JMHO
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

10. Default

I have 2 daughters, neither have any interest in it and I'd rather try to sell it myself and get a far price instead of leaving them the burden of dealing with low balling individuals.