Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Crappy day at the range

Got up early and headed to the range. As soon as I started unloading my stuff, it started to rain. Cold wind and rain blowing under the pavilion. Got a bit wet and packed it in.

Yeah, BUT . . . .

A crappy day at the range STILL BEATS a good day at work, eh?

Very true, but I'm retired so a crappy day at the range is still a crappy day. and I hate getting wet and cold.

One really good thing about retirement is that every week has six Saturdays! Watch the weather reports, joem. I think your rain has made it to New Hampshire ... our trap shoot scheduled for tomorrow morning is going to be rained out, but the rest of the week looks nice. So she and I will pick a day, go out for breakfast, then head for the range. Mid-week around here the ranges are almost empty.

Cold, rainy, windy days in April were made for organizing shooting supplies, giving a rifle that good annual cleaning, working on a project gun, or just reading a good book. (I just started reading "The Book of Rifles" by W.H.B Smith. Cost me a buck at a garage sale. Fascinating reading.) Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 04-11-2016 at 07:41.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I'm going to the range today. Temp this morning is high 20's and sun.

Did the soldiers pack up and go home because it rained and the wind blew in during the War? It sounds like you missed a perfect practice for Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinson View Post
    Did the soldiers pack up and go home because it rained and the wind blew in during the War? It sounds like you missed a perfect practice for Perry.
    Way too old and crippled up to do that anymore. Wet and cold makes the joints seize up.

Went again yesterday. What a fantastic day and a welcome change from last week. Shooting a bunch of pistols and I think I made up for last weekend. Big pile of brass is in the tumblers. I may have to make a trip to the reloading store for more primers.

That's the spirit joem! Glad to hear you had a great day.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Went again yesterday. What a fantastic day and a welcome change from last week. Shooting a bunch of pistols and I think I made up for last weekend. Big pile of brass is in the tumblers. I may have to make a trip to the reloading store for more primers.
    I don't say this to brag or make anyone envious (well, maybe a little). I have some land in the mountains with my own range and bench set-up under cover. No one else around and I can shoot to my hearts content and then step inside my cabin and have dinner and a beer. That is my idea of paradise, and no fellas, I do NOT take it for granted.
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment