Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
KWC,

Too bad this thread is buried under the current title. This is pretty valuable info that lots of troubled shooters who don't know about would find useful.

Merc
It's a little bit on the order of a poor man's Stoney Point Bullet Depth Comparator. You can pretty much do the same thing with a cleaning rod with a blunt end jag on it. Have a second set of hands press the bullet forward against the lands with the easer end of a pencil while you insert the cleaning rod until the jag contacts the tip of the bullet. Scribe the cleaning tight against the muzzle crown with a VERY sharp pencil. Knock the bullet out and place a complete round in the chamber. If it is a live round have the second set of hands push it forward in the chamber. If it is dummy round you can close the bolt on it and lightly push the round back against the bolt face with the cleaning. Once again scribe the cleaning rod. (The second method will encompass the head space into the measurement). Measure the distance between the two pencil marks with your micrometer. This method won't give you the precision of the Stoney Point tool, but it's probably good to within .005" I'd think. I used the second method to set the depth on my 25-20 Winchester with the Sierra 75gr. spire tip, HP, flat base bullet, commonly used in the 22-250, out to about .010" of the lands in my old Savage 23B bolt gun. Loaded out that far it's way too long to work through the action, but it does allow for the use of more ACC 1680 powder to bring the velocity up to around 2,250fps with no pressure issues. That muzzle velocity ends up being good enough to fully open the bullet @ 125yds on chucks and coyotes. It would probably makes a good turkey round where allowed.