Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

image.jpgimage.jpg

I found this on the Internet on how to stain walnut rifle stocks with logwood. Interesting for those of you who want to give it a try. Let's us know how it came out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Does anyone know how and what formula/stain/etc. used in original
    Springfield 1903 stocks? Were all stock finishes the same, i.e. service
    issue stocks vs national match stock finishes, etc.

thanks

Loy
    Couldn't remember the name of the stuff, so I had to go into the basement work shop and dig around till I FOUND IT... CHESTNUT RIDGE SUPPLY THE NAME OF THE COMPANY..... YOU WANT A BOTTLE OF DARK WALNUT MILITARY STOCK STAIN... WITH A HINT OF RED.. I usually tone it down by adding some light walnut stain. Look it up, give it a try, works good for me if you want something to have an old original look

According to Brophy it was boiled linseed oil and it was used long before WWII, I'd have to look but I thought during WWI. The logwood stain was used on the early 1903s and was the origin of the beautiful red coloration. Several folks on this and other forums have tried to duplicate it but those ingredients are no longer available. I believe I have succeeded by alternating passes with (all minwax BTW) Red Sodona and Dark Wallnut stains. Then finish over with Boiled linseed oil.
    I will post pics of my A1 Sniper when I get it back together again (don't ask... still in mourning) the color on it is beautiful, still subtle. Word of advice, if you want the early 03 color leave the Red Sodona on as long a recommended, I lost my nerve and wiped it off too early (no regrets though 03A1s aren't supposed to be early 03 red). When you open the can you'll see why its spooky to apply (fire engine red) but fear not.

4. Default

Thanks to all the replies. I bought a new CMP 1903 C Stock and am going to try my hand at the dark dark walnut w/ a nice tint of red look.

For what it's worth, I tried playing with this about ten years ago and still have the bottles on the shelf. The CMP recommends applying different combinations of R. Gale Lock Dark Walnut stain and Chestnut Ridge Dark Walnut (with a hint of red) to get an authentic looking color. (Note: In my opinion that "hint of red" is a whole LOT more than just a "hint".) CMP's informative discussion can be found here: http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armo...ng-article/#64

Also, bear in mind that both the Chestnut Ridge product and the R. Gale Lock product are alcohol based stains. Unlike oil-based stains which pretty much seal the pigmenting compounds onto the surface of the wood, alcohol- and water-based stains sink in deep and dye the wood cells themselves. The end result is that the wood grain can be much more apparent. Not necessarily a bad thing . . . as long as this is the effect you have in mind. HTH
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    According to Brophy it was boiled linseed oil and it was used long before WWII, I'd have to look but I thought during WWI. The logwood stain was used on the early 1903s and was the origin of the beautiful red coloration. Several folks on this and other forums have tried to duplicate it but those ingredients are no longer available.
    Randy, please do look it up. As noted in post #10 of this thread, Ordnance Form No. 528 dated July 1, 1916 specified the use of RAW linseed oil. This requirement was apparently left unchanged in U.S. Army Ordnance Department Specifications No. 52.1.1 dated February 9, 1923. I would be very interested in any definitive documentation that you might be aware of citing a change from raw to boiled linseed oil.

Logwood, in the form of chips, powder, and extract, is still readily available. It's unlikely that any of the ingredients used by the government could not be easily obtained today. Sadly, what is missing is the formulation for the armory stain and the specific process by which it was applied.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I posted the instructions you guys don't read. Aqua fortis is added to bring out the grain affect look it up on the Internet the camwood is for a brighter red color. Neither is needed for the logwood stain. Both are still available to purchase. By the way this formula was written about 1900 or earlier
    Last edited by louis; 04-08-2016 at 03:59.

I do not believe the military used any 'stain', why would they bother? Were they trying to make "pretty" rifles? Stain does nothing to protect the wood. Linseed oil will obtain that reddish, dark color with age. And you can see many color variations in stocks. European military rifles will have the same reddish color, I have many examples of these.
    You can never go home again.

I do not believe the military used any 'stain'
    You have an incorrect belief.

I think dark logwood staining would have accomplished several things that the military desired. It would have penetrated the wood fibers and acted as a preservative and water repellant and the dark pigment would have given the wood a uniform dark color to help prevent being conspicuous on the battlefield. Linseed oil would have enhanced the finish but also acted as another layer of preservative and water repellant.

Merc