Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Thanks to all for the notes!! In looking at it more this past week, I kind of thought it was in the military service at some point because the bolt was swapped as the serial number doesn't match (possibly soldiers looking to get better accuracy). With a bit of parkerizing missing it must have been used a bit. What was astounding was the stock, which has no dents or scratches on absolutely museum quality walnut wood. So, I guess it was re-stocked later before it got out into the commercial world. I've had it for six years now and can hardly wait to take it to the range,

Again thanks to all for your comments and wisdom.

I actually found it. The order is dated Oct 1940 and they converted 300. They used stocks that were unserviceable for .30. So I imagine broken stocks that were repaired, but wouldn't hold up to the larger caliber.

Just out of morbid curiosity 1903NM, you might post some detailed pics of that rifle and see if we see any regular Marine 1903 traits on it. I have no clue what they would look like and whether the Marines did anything to them other than restock them and put on a 1903 rear sight. But I would be curious to see if we can see anything Marine on it.

Also look for any repairs on that stock.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 04-06-2016 at 05:23.

3. Default

I have a similar rifle, M2 in a grasping groove stock. Would you mind posting a copy of those orders? I had heard the story before, but had never seen any documentation.

4. Default

I believe that without an examination of the rifle by an expert (with more knowledge than I) or more information, it will not be possible to identify correctly what this rifle is. For example:
    1.What are the receiver markings?
    2. What are the barrel markings?
    3. Does the action have clip slots? Most of the .22 actions have an overhang, replacing the clip slots, that was designed to "trip" the bolt lock on the earlier .22 rifles. The picture is not of good quality, but I think that I see the "overhang" which would make it a .22 action.
    4. The rifle is D&T which may indicate a .22 action, but many M1903 type actions were D&T'd by gunsmiths.
    5. If it is a M1903 with the Numrich conversion, how is the magazine handled? The Numrich conversion furnished a 03A3 modified trigger guard for a non-Springfield magazine.
    It does have an M2 bolt as far as I can tell.
    Maybe cplnorton has "nailed it".
    Here is a picture that a shooter took in the 1940's of a conversion he made to enable him to practice during the off season with his M2 to simulate his M1903:
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps0314fb1d.jpg
    The M1 .22 is on top and the M1903 NM is at the bottom. It appeared with an article in the American Rifleman Magazine.
    Just a few observations.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-06-2016 at 09:38.

5. Default

I looked over with a magnifying glass and see no repairs. The front action screw is so tight that I will have to carry it to a gunsmith to loosen so I can see if any repairs were made inside. I did notice the rear cross bolt through the stock area may have a fine little crack or split that happened when drilling a screw hole you can barely see or even feel with a finger nail but not something over a sixteenth of an inch or two. The curly walnut wood at the rear could be a reason for 22 use as you can't see any grains for several inches. Maybe another clue is the sideways "U" stamped in the cutoff (nothing else) or the five pointed star stamped below the rear swivel. After I see my gunsmith I should have an update.

6. Default

A couple more notes after further review of this rifle. The bolt is electro penciled with the serial number 19061B and the reciever is stamped with a serial number about 1,000 higher. The barrel date is 11 30 under the flaming bomb. A careful look at the non clip slotted receiver at the two drilled and tapped screw holes almost shows a rectangular area that is smoother in finish where it almost would appear something was once attached there. No scratches, just smoother with with almost visible lines around the rectangle. Lastly, when I first got it, it would not feed from the clip which was the earlier M1 clip. Luckily I found one stamped with M2 and that fed fine. And if you are wondering, I paid $400.00 for it six years ago.

7. Default

1903nm
    I may be incorrect, but I believe that the M1 clip is rarer than the m2 and you can probably sell it for the price you paid for the M2 magazine'

Blog Entries

The rifle in question would have been built as a 1922M1. The barrel date suggests it is original to the receiver. The B suffix was added to the serial number when the armory or arsenal upgraded the rifle by replacing the bolt, magazine and sometimes the stock with the M2 type. I agree with Cosine26 about the magazine value. The 1922M1 magazine is scarcer but there is less demand for them so they sell for about the same price.

9. Default

Hi 1903nm
    I think that you will find that that abominable M1905 rear sight is not very good for small bore shooting. I would suggest that you try to obtain either a post WWII Lyman 48 C or S or a Lyman 57 SME. The rifle is drilled and tapped for a Lyman and the later versions do not require that you cut into the stock to mount or use the sight. The 57 SME may still be available from Lyman if not look on eBay.
    FWIW

10. Default

Another little update after visiting my gunsmith. He was easily successful in breaking free the screw that was tight for me. Then he bore scoped it out of curiosity and found noticeable wear near the breech but told me the second half near the muzzle looked good. He is a good old gunsmith who seems to be mainly working on benchrest rifles. He also made the comment that the stock looked presidential.
    After I got home I took it apart, finding no stock repairs, but did quickly see that the lower band spring was installed too high requiring it to be milled down even with the wood. That is the only thing I would highly suspect would be why this beautiful wood would be put on a 22.lower band spring.jpg