Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

Holy Smokes that's a museum collection!!!

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Thanks Merc. When I go visit a couple of my buds in central Virginia we go to the gun shows up there and they are well worth going to. Down here it's all ar ak and pistols. Seems the better shows are up in that area.
    Looks like there is a gun show in Ft. Myers on November that might be interesting.

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/...un-knife-show/

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    Too bad you didn't go to the small antique gun show in Ft Myers held at the same time as the big one you went to there. I go to it every year but it was a lot smaller this year because of the conflict of two show at the same time. But there was an excl condt 1911 dated 03 that looked to be still in all original condt for only $850. The only thing wrong with it was the cartouche was too light to make out. A nice one and I would have picked it up if I didn't have three early 03's already but as I'm writing this, I'm now sorry I didn't get it as that was a good price with money to be made for resale. Ray
    $850 is on the upper end of the average price range I've been seeing in W PA for average condition 03s but it's low if the rifle was in really nice shape. How were the mechanics (bore, bolt, etc.) or didn't you get that far?

Merc

Thanks Merc I saved the info I'll be taking a ride there and check it out.

Just a quick look but from what I remember it looked like it had all correct period parts, straight bolt handle, correct rear sight, high hump handguard, bbl date matched the serial number. Again just a quick pick up look but believe it was all as it should be and was in about 95% condt. If it had a better cartouche, (the stock was probably boned which smoothed over the cartouche), it would be about a $1500 rifle as it was, it was worth more then the $850 asking price. As mentioned, I have three low number 03's and am pretty much up on their prices.
    Check them out on the site I show my collection on, Ray
    http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...quin-displays/

Just went through it myself and and to save folks time in looking here are the pags showing my early 03's.
    pg 2
    pg 5
    pg 18 sold that one for I believe $1500 two-3 yrs ago
    pg 23
    pg 24 very early 03 sling
    Last edited by rayg; 04-11-2016 at 01:37.

I got some great advice on checking throat erosion while discussing my inaccurate Spanish Mauser. Check it out on this forum under Mauser Rifles - Spanish Mauser 7X57 Reloads.

Merc

I showed my wife your photos to let her see that my four remaining 1903's and maybe four WWI and one Rod Bayonet cartridge belts and two 1905 bayonets isn't such a big deal as compared to what a Real collector has accumulated. Now she doesn't think that I'm out of control after all.

However, I DID just purchase last week an excellent condition Model 1868 Springfield trapdoor with an 1868 dated breech block whose serial number is 127 with some of the money that I received from the amount that I got for my 1920 National Match 1903 Springfield.
    My wife doesn't mind as long as I keep the quantity of stuff down to what she considers to be a manageable size. After all, I have no Gun Room, so I keep my stuff on a chair in a corner of one of the spare bedrooms.
    I like your collection of neat stuff Ray! Thanks for the link to the photos!!
    Last edited by Fred; 04-12-2016 at 08:38.

I also have a space issue and my stuff currently occupies about half of the family room which the wife approves of. Rarely do I buy something without first considering where I'll display it. Maybe it's best to do what the major museums do and rotate our exhibits.

Merc

I bought a really nice 1943 Remington 03-A3 on Wednesday that seemed to have escaped the rebuilding process. It has all the usual stamps and cartouches but no arsenal stamp and only one circle P proof mark. The chief inspector's stamp is FJA for COL. Frank J. Atwood. The barrel is dated 4-43 and the serial number indicates it was assembled in 6-43. The Parked finish is 95% or more on the barrel, bands, butt plate, etc. but there are a few shiney spots on the bolt where it makes contact with the receiver. It passes headspace and throat erosion is nearly unmeasurable. The only thing negative about the rifle was the gunky finish on the wood components. They were covered with a black sticky oily substance that may have been some sort of preservative or just a totally oxidized linseed oil finish. It was easily removed and a georgeous walnut stock revealed itself. I took it to the range yesterday and put all 6 rounds within a 6 inch target, 3 at 50 yards and 3 at 100 yards. A battle rifle to be proud of.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 07-23-2016 at 11:47. Reason: Fat fingers hitting wrong keys.

'03A3s are the easiest to shoot because of their superior sights, especially if your eyesight is less than perfect. They can also be had for a bit less money and have the best metallurgy of any '03s. Prices to vary with location but they have gone up everywhere. Around here good mixmaster shooter '03s run $700.00 to as much as $900.00 depending on a lot of factors. Every now and again you do hit a bargain though. I'd set $700.00 as my baseline if I was in the market for another one, hope for a better deal and be willing to go up $25.00 - $75.00 for an especially nice example.