Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Merc down here in south FL there are no 03's A3's or Garands at the gun shows or the gun shops and not even the pawn shops. Wish I lived near an area where they are out there. Keep hunting you'll find a good one
    I went to a February gun show a few years in a row in Ft. Myers while visiting relatives and can't remember seeing very many old military anything. Lots of modern pistols, rifles, knives and zappers though. There is a Wednesday only flea market at a drive-in movie in Ft. Myers that always had a few guys selling old military rifles. I don't remember the name of the drive-in but I know it's on Rt. 41. The vendor activity peaks during the winter months.

The shows in Western PA are always big and well attended because we're such a heavily deer hunted state. On a few occasions, especially when (you-know-who) would start to talk about gun control, there were shows where the exhibit hall the size of a large super market was filled to capacity and a line of guys circled the parking lot waiting to get in.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Once accustomed to cock on opening, shooting an M1917 is weird in a match because when you slap the bolt down it will spring back up if not done correctly.

There are ZERO commercial rifles produced today that cock on closing, much to the chagrin of the Enfield lovers.
    The next cock on opening rifle I shoot will be the first since everything I currently shoot is cock on closing.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I went to a February gun show a few years in a row in Ft. Myers while visiting relatives and can't remember seeing very many old military anything. Lots of modern pistols, rifles, knives and zappers though. There is a Wednesday only flea market at a drive-in movie in Ft. Myers that always had a few guys selling old military rifles. I don't remember the name of the drive-in but I know it's on Rt. 41. The vendor activity peaks during the winter months.

The shows in Western PA are always big and well attended because we're such a heavily deer hunted state. On a few occasions, especially when (you-know-who) would start to talk about gun control, there were shows where the exhibit hall the size of a large super market was filled to capacity and a line of guys circled the parking lot waiting to get in.

Merc
    Too bad you didn't go to the small antique gun show in Ft Myers held at the same time as the big one you went to there. I go to it every year but it was a lot smaller this year because of the conflict of two show at the same time. But there was an excl condt 1911 dated 03 that looked to be still in all original condt for only $850. The only thing wrong with it was the cartouche was too light to make out. A nice one and I would have picked it up if I didn't have three early 03's already but as I'm writing this, I'm now sorry I didn't get it as that was a good price with money to be made for resale. Ray

I'll have to put Ft Meyers on my watch list but it's a trek of more than a 2 hour drive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    Too bad you didn't go to the small antique gun show in Ft Myers held at the same time as the big one you went to there. I go to it every year but it was a lot smaller this year because of the conflict of two show at the same time. But there was an excl condt 1911 dated 03 that looked to be still in all original condt for only $850. The only thing wrong with it was the cartouche was too light to make out. A nice one and I would have picked it up if I didn't have three early 03's already but as I'm writing this, I'm now sorry I didn't get it as that was a good price with money to be made for resale. Ray
    I'll have to google that one to see if they advertise it on the Internet for time and place since we'll be back next year. No-one's really interested in or appreciates the old stuff but me. My "youngest" is the 1944 Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 1*.

Thanks for the tip.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    I'll have to put Ft Meyers on my watch list but it's a trek of more than a 2 hour drive for me.
    Louis,

Some gun shows are worth traveling long distances. A bunch of us go every year the first weekend in May to the Civil War show in Mansfield, Ohio that's over 2.5 hours driving from Pittsburgh. Google "Ohio Civil War Show" and you'll get an idea of the show's size and scope. It encompasses the Civil War, WW1 and WW2 and nothing else. We make a day of it and either go there with an idea of what we want to buy or just to look around to see what catches our attention. I'll be looking at M1903s this year. I regularly see people there that I know from Florida and Georgia who make the trip. We see some big-time dealers. Rapheal Elledge from Antiques Roadshow on PBS is usually there. It's one of those shows that's highly anticipated and attracts a large crowd every year.

I hear there's another big show in Baltimore. I'll look around on the Internet for similar shows in Florida that might be worth seeing even if it's a few hours drive.

Merc

Thanks Merc. When I go visit a couple of my buds in central Virginia we go to the gun shows up there and they are well worth going to. Down here it's all ar ak and pistols. Seems the better shows are up in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Louis,

Some gun shows are worth traveling long distances. A bunch of us go every year the first weekend in May to the Civil War show in Mansfield, Ohio that's over 2.5 hours driving from Pittsburgh. Google "Ohio Civil War Show" and you'll get an idea of the show's size and scope. It encompasses the Civil War, WW1 and WW2 and nothing else. We make a day of it and either go there with an idea of what we want to buy or just to look around to see what catches our attention. I'll be looking at M1903s this year. I regularly see people there that I know from Florida and Georgia who make the trip. We see some big-time dealers. Rapheal Elledge from Antiques Roadshow on PBS is usually there. It's one of those shows that's highly anticipated and attracts a large crowd every year.

Merc

I'll be at the Mansfield show selling off my Civil War stuff/collection. Started collecting that first, so is the first to go. Moving so won't have room for it all. Ray

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...quin-displays/
    Last edited by rayg; 04-11-2016 at 07:01.

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    I'll be at the Mansfield show selling off my Civil War stuff/collection. Started collecting that first, so is the first to go. Moving so won't have room for it all. Ray

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...quin-displays/
    That's not A collection. That's THE collection. Amazing. I'll be watching for you.

Merc

ShaZam!