Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

2885E7A0-E3B3-412C-B949-D72BB08130D0.jpgF5746E37-807B-4250-9323-1FAA6D8655B7.jpgBC020ED4-97B3-4FBE-B65D-22DF5B8BE65A.jpg83D57E29-80C5-4159-A35A-EE38BE233096.jpgBCA65826-3736-4C60-B43F-8F8739C89F29.jpg

A few more. Notice the repaired stock area. The patch is definitely a hardwood, possibly maple or oak. It’s nearly the same color as the oak table.

The spring slot end is cut on a slight diagonal. Possibly a Keystone stock?

Barrel stamped HS 9/44.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-04-2019 at 05:46.

6F43E3B7-8F42-4BA2-AE74-B7F4D4E8233C.jpg89678CA2-B61C-4698-842C-E3DA3DE5CCCE.jpgB1C54347-7B06-406D-AFA6-1A8BA2784789.jpg

Three more. Rock Island rebuild stamp with the unknown EB initials and last 4 digits of the serial number plus another 4 unknown digits.

Notice the double “P” proof stamp. Does this indicate that the new HS barrel was proof fired?

Now that I have removed most of the oil from the stock and found a way to remove most of the remaining oil, I’ve decided to keep the stock. It’s in good condition and isn’t showing any deterioration from the oil saturation. Plus, it’s been on the rifle since the WW2 rebuild.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-04-2019 at 09:55.

Nice rifle. I like rifles with a history, even if I don't know it.

Just a thought. Since this post started back in April 2016 I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but isn't the 4 digit nbr on the stock indicative of the stock being a Greek return ??? I have an 03A3 with several repairs on the stock and the last 4 digits of the serial nbr is stamped on same and was told it was a Greek return. One of the repairs was similar to the one in your photo. FWIW.

john in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Just a thought. Since this post started back in April 2016 I don't know if it was mentioned or not, but isn't the 4 digit nbr on the stock indicative of the stock being a Greek return ??? I have an 03A3 with several repairs on the stock and the last 4 digits of the serial nbr is stamped on same and was told it was a Greek return. One of the repairs was similar to the one in your photo. FWIW.

john in SC
    Thanks John, interesting theory.

There are several things that I wonder about. Just trying to interpret what I see:

There’s another 4 digit number (9782) stamped under the S/N on the stock. Their meaning is unknown.

The last 4 digits of the S/N are also etched on the top of the bolt handle. This indicates that an effort was made to keep the rifle’s components together. This wasn’t something that the US armorers were usually concerned about.

The bolt and its components are stamped with the R that indicates that it was made by Remington who began making M1903 Modified and 03A3 rifles in 1943. It must have replaced the Springfield bolt during the final RIA rebuild some time after 9/44.

The stock looks like it could be a Keystone stock because the end of the spring groove is cut on a slight angle. Keystone stocks were made for Remington starting in 1943. Grooves ends on Smith Corona stocks were round and groove ends on Remington stocks were square. It has the RIA cartouche so it was on the rifle before the rebuild. The Ordnance and Atwood stamps are barely visible and several handling chips and dents are present.

There isn’t an import mark, unless it’s the number stamped on the stock.

It still had the remnants of the cosmoline on the stock so it went into arsenal storage after the war.

The US Govt. put a lot of effort and money into this obsolete rifle towards the end of WW2. The M1 Garand should have been plentiful by then. It would make sense that it was loaned to the Greeks after the rebuild.

Edit: The repair that was performed to the stock was nicely done. The wood patch appears to be a hardwood that looks like oak or maple. It’s pegged in two places and there’s an external support near the recoil bolt. I can see a lot of time and effort in this repair. Is this something that the US armorers would have taken the time to do, or would they have simply replaced the stock?

Yeah, this thread is old. I just wanted to close the loop on my search for a nice shootable Springfield M1903. I didn’t think it would take more than three years to find one. It’s been an interesting thread to follow because so many have been willing to share their knowledge and give me the advice I needed. Thank you.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-05-2019 at 06:13.

RIA/EB is Robert Bjerke (spelling) an inspector at Rock Island. The numbers stamped on the stock and bolt are indicative of a Greek return which is why the rifle has no import marks. The fact that there are two sets, assuming they don’t both match the rifles serial number, just means that the stock was reused on more than one rifle. Keystone made replacement stocks, Remington made there own stocks. As to why the stock was grease soaked the Greeks used different things as a preservative for storage that ranged from something that was almost like soft wax to something that was like axle grease and not at all like cosmolene. This is why your stock appears oil soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    RIA/EB is Robert Bjerke (spelling) an inspector at Rock Island. The numbers stamped on the stock and bolt are indicative of a Greek return which is why the rifle has no import marks. The fact that there are two sets, assuming they don’t both match the rifles serial number, just means that the stock was reused on more than one rifle. Keystone made replacement stocks, Remington made there own stocks. As to why the stock was grease soaked the Greeks used different things as a preservative for storage that ranged from something that was almost like soft wax to something that was like axle grease and not at all like cosmolene. This is why your stock appears oil soaked.
    Thank you for the information. All of it makes sense.

I think the Greeks were given the rifle after the RIA rebuilt it in 1944 since they sent it back to the US covered in that grease they used as a preservative. I also think the acetone removed most of the excess oil. It was the first time I’d ever seen oil drip from a stock that was sitting in the sun. After 75 years, I’m surprised it didn’t cause swelling or softening.

I think the stock repair was done by the Greeks. I can’t see the US armorers taking the time to repair a stock. I’ve seen damage in the same general area on at least one other ‘03 stock. It was probably caused by the ejecting cases.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-05-2019 at 04:25.

The last 4 digits of the S/N are also etched on the top of the bolt handle
    Merc, my rifle also had the last four nbrs. on top of bolt handle and was soaked with something. I finally got it all out of the wood after about two months. Cleaned up pretty good. I then found three 1/4 " dowels imbedded in the stock near the butt plate. It was sanded down and the contour was correct.

john in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Merc, my rifle also had the last four nbrs. on top of bolt handle and was soaked with something. I finally got it all out of the wood after about two months. Cleaned up pretty good. I then found three 1/4 " dowels imbedded in the stock near the butt plate. It was sanded down and the contour was correct.

john in SC
    They probably fixed a small crack. The Greeks were obviously good wood workers.

When did the Greeks return the M1903s to the US?