Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

Steve you bought that rifle!! I should have known!! That was some find! Yes I tried finding unit records but that was awhile back. Seems like they were either destroyed or hopefully hidden somewhere in some warehouse lol. Good luck in your research I know it's a royal pain but rewarding.

2016 was an interesting year. I was looking for a M1903 but opted for a really nice 1943 Remington 03-A3 in July when an opportunity presented itself. I also bought a Winchester M1917 in January that I greatly admire for its size, strength and appearance. Both are in great shape and shoot accurately. I'm still looking for a M1903 and will not rest until I find one in 2017. Lastly, we elected a president who will defend the 2nd amendment. All things considered, it wasn't a bad year.

I bought a front sight hood for the 1943 Remington 03-A3 I bought in July 2016 thinking it would help to aim the rifle by framing the thin sight blade which would allow me to see the target a little more easily. The hood was still covered in cosmoline and there are no marks on it so I figured it was new. I tried to install the hood but found that it was impossible to do without scratching the near perfect Parkerized finish on the front end of the barrel. I know the hoods must fit tightly on the barrel in order to stay put. Has anyone found a way to install a tight fitting hood without scratching a perfect Parkerized finish?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I bought a front sight hood for the 1943 Remington 03-A3 I bought in July 2016 thinking it would help to aim the rifle by framing the thin sight blade which would allow me to see the target a little more easily. The hood was still covered in cosmoline and there are no marks on it so I figured it was new. I tried to install the hood but found that it was impossible to do without scratching the near perfect Parkerized finish on the front end of the barrel. I know the hoods must fit tightly on the barrel in order to stay put. Has anyone found a way to install a tight fitting hood without scratching a perfect Parkerized finish?
    The sight protector doesn't make sighting easier on the 03-A3, and actually makes it more difficult. The round aperture of the receiver sight is a wonderful sighting device given the ability of the eye with no input from you to acquire the center of the aperture and position the front sight blade at the center. Especially so with the taller front sight blade of the 03-A3, with the sight protector on you have added another aperture for the eye to center, and it does. Only problem is that the front sight blade is not centered in the front aperture, and is very close to the top of the sight protector. You have to consciously disregard the front aperture, which is now in the way, and concentrate on the sight blade to keep it centered in the rear aperture.

If you want to try it for yourself, stick two round bit screwdrivers in the upper part of the sight protector and pry it apart as best you can to help get it over the sight, and have your best buddy there to help get it on. Coming off it removes some more finish. I have seen them with the folded over piece on the rear cut off to allow the protector to slide on instead of over the sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The sight protector doesn't make sighting easier on the 03-A3, and actually makes it more difficult. The round aperture of the receiver sight is a wonderful sighting device given the ability of the eye with no input from you to acquire the center of the aperture and position the front sight blade at the center. Especially so with the taller front sight blade of the 03-A3, with the sight protector on you have added another aperture for the eye to center, and it does. Only problem is that the front sight blade is not centered in the front aperture, and is very close to the top of the sight protector. You have to consciously disregard the front aperture, which is now in the way, and concentrate on the sight blade to keep it centered in the rear aperture.

If you want to try it for yourself, stick two round bit screwdrivers in the upper part of the sight protector and pry it apart as best you can to help get it over the sight, and have your best buddy there to help get it on. Coming off it removes some more finish. I have seen them with the folded over piece on the rear cut off to allow the protector to slide on instead of over the sight.
    Thanks for the informative reply.

I've been watching a fairly minty looking 1918 RIA M1903 s/n 304xxx at my favorite gun store for a while. They've had it for several months and might be ready to make a deal.

Joe.....The M1903 carried the day for the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal August '42- January '43. They were relieved by US Army forces toting M1s, but by that time most of the fighting was done. Marines, with the '03, shattered the myth of Japanese invincibility. Then they were issued M1s and the rest is history.....

I think I've finally zeroed the windage adjustment on my 03A3. I hit the bulls eye at 100 yards several times after many experiment shots. I may actually begin to enjoy shooting this rifle now I can finally hit where I'm aiming instead of constantly tinkering with the windage knob.

It's sad to see so little traffic on this forum these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    It's sad to see so little traffic on this forum these days.

yes it is,, but it is a far cry from what it was back in the early 2000's when I first started posting,,