Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

Have to wait for the shoulder surgery to heal before i bust off any 30/06 rounds... Been just 2 weeks, just got the stitches out today... But i did go to another site i used to frequent, can't recall the name, but according to all the info between this one and that one, i may have taken too much wood from the tang area as the bolt, guard, and bushing have contact with each other... It was a freebe but i hope i didn't ruin it...
    But she's a beaut... Going to a gun show tomorrow to see if i can score another strait stock with finger grooves...
    i'll keep ya'll informed...
    bombdog, out here...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Bombdog,

I hear you on your shoulder. My left was replaced in 09 and the right is probably not far behind. I baby it by shooting from a Caldwell rack to lessen the recoil and reduce aiming errors.

Merc

Roger that Merc...
    Went to the gunshow and i have a new addition to my girls, Winchester #108624 of the M1917 variety... Guess now i need to lern a thing er two bout her... Know the guy who had her, says she's a shooter... We'll see... Has a 11/18 Remington barrel though... i'll keep ya'll informed...
    bombdog, gone diggin...
    Last edited by bombdog; 08-27-2016 at 01:26.
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

BD,

I also have a M1917 Winchester. See me on the M1917 page on this forum.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 08-27-2016 at 02:02.

OK guys, since there's lots of foot traffic on this thread, I think it would be a great place to post some photos of your M1903s and 03-A3s, especially if they are recent acquisitions or really nice specimens. You saw my 03-A3. Let's see what you got.

Also, since so many forum members contributed their knowledge and experience to this thread, let them know if you were able to use any of the information that they so graciously offered to look for or buy your M1903 or 03-A3. Photos are always welcomed.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-26-2016 at 08:09.

There are two variants that apply to the Smith-Corona 03-A3 that anyone who is looking to purchase one should be aware of. A 03-A3 with either of these variants would probably be considered uncommon.

Remington and Smith-Corona accidentally used the same serial numbers on approx. 3,600 03-A3s. S-C added a "C" prefix to their serial numbers for identification and inventory purposes.

High Standard Co. was the barrel supplier for S-C 03-A3s and acquired approx. 5,000 6 groove Savage barrels and got govt. approval to furnish them for S-C 03-A3s.

Note: Both quantities mention above are from an American Rifleman article published in 2010 and are approximate. The actual quantities produced may be different.

So, the next time you're looking at a S-C 03-A3, check to see if its serial number has a C prefix or a 6 groove barrel. With all the parts swapping going on at the armories when they were being rebuilt after WW2, what are the chances of finding a S-C 03-A3 with a C prefix and a 6 groove barrel? Now that would be rare.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-20-2016 at 12:42.

Here are two 4.81M SC rifles that are only about 3600 serial numbers apart. The bottom rifle appears to only have been proof fired and is OG stamped. The top rifle is a 6 groove.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CPC View Post
    Here are two 4.81M SC rifles that are only about 3600 serial numbers apart. The bottom rifle appears to only have been proof fired and is OG stamped. The top rifle is a 6 groove.
    Wow! Nice going.

As I indicated on previous posts on this thread, I purchased a minty 1943 Model 03-A3 in July, 2016 at Cabelas in Wheeling, WV. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Is it legal to purchase a rifle in West Virginia and immediately transport it to Pennsylvania?

I'm considering taking an unloaded rifle plus several boxes of ammo with me on vacation to Florida to do some range shooting with relatives and I'm wondering about the 6 state lines (WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL) that I'll cross (twice) and whether or not I'll be violating any state laws by merely having the rifle and ammo in the car with me.

It would be nice if Trump standardizes the federal gun laws to include transporting firearms across state lines.
    Last edited by Merc; 11-17-2016 at 06:31.

I just got myself a 1903 with a set of Mr Bill Bentz's thicker front sight and rear sight peep. these old eyes have never been happier!