Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

Default Buying a M1903

I'm considering buying a shootable M1903. I never buy a rifle sight unseen so it will be coming from a gun show or, more likely a local gun dealer. I will be prepared to look at bore, throat erosion, muzzle condition and head space. What are some of the pros, cons and peculiarities that I should be aware of with this particular model?

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 05-28-2016 at 08:17.

Merc,

In my limited experience, 1903s are fairly straightforward rifles. At the risk of stating the obvious, make sure everything works. Check the operation of the bolt, the safety, the magazine cutoff, and the rear sight (the sight ladder should snap smartly into place; the windage adjustment should be smooth but not loose). If possible, take along a snap cap and dry fire it a few times to feel the trigger pull. Also take along five dummy rounds to make sure it cycles properly through the entire magazine. (I've seen feeding problems with these in the past that were the result of improper receiver geometry.) Look for stock cracks and stock fit - does the trigger guard fit snugly against the stock? Look for any signs of cracking behind the receiver tang. Also, carefully check the bolt lugs. These are pretty much the same things I'd look at on any older bolt action rifle.

Keep in mind that, if the barrel and receiver are good and headspace checks out, just about any other problem can be fixed - sometimes cheaply (weak magazine spring), sometimes more costly (cracked stock). Small problems can sometimes provide you with considerable bargaining leverage. HTH. Good luck!
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Joe,

What's an average price to pay for a better than average '03?

Merc

Whew, that's tough. So many big variables . . . your local market, the rifle itself, your bargaining skills, old fashion luck ... Others here are far more qualified than I am to answer your question, but to give you a straight SWAG answer, say somewhere in the $600-$800 range.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Merc,

I was thinking, you mentioned above that you're looking for a "shootable M1903". If by "above average" you just mean "full military configuration, everything works as it should, and the rifle shoots well" and you're willing to accept the mix of replacement parts as well as the dings, dents, and finish wear that comes with being a nearly 100 year old battle rifle, then with luck you might find a good shooter for a couple hundred less. Just a thought, and still a SWAG ("Scientific Wild-A$$ Guess").

I kinda figured M'03s would be similar to M'17s in value since they were fairly similar rifles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I kinda figured M'03s would be similar to M'17s in value since they were fairly similar rifles.
    Similar === Thy are military, bolt action, and 30-06 cal...... other than that fact, its a Caddilac to a Chevie.

Since the CMP sold '03's, prices have went way up. 1917 have also gone up (like most guns) the last few years but they have not reached '03 prices, which are very popular since CMP sold out. Saw a nice Rem. to day for 500 and change, blued or that black park they used. '03's around here run upwards of 700 bucks.
    You can never go home again.

Rebound,

This is what I want to hear. Caddy vs. Chevy! I have had no experience with M'03s other than what I read. I obviously admire the rifle since it was chosen as the regulation US Army rifle until replaced by the M1 Garand. Give me the reasons for your high opinion of the M'03 and your low opinion of the M'17.

Dave,

WW1's 100th anniversary is probably going to make '03s and '17s even more expensive.

Merc