Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Buying a M1903

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    RIA/EB is Robert Bjerke (spelling) an inspector at Rock Island. The numbers stamped on the stock and bolt are indicative of a Greek return which is why the rifle has no import marks. The fact that there are two sets, assuming they don’t both match the rifles serial number, just means that the stock was reused on more than one rifle. Keystone made replacement stocks, Remington made there own stocks. As to why the stock was grease soaked the Greeks used different things as a preservative for storage that ranged from something that was almost like soft wax to something that was like axle grease and not at all like cosmolene. This is why your stock appears oil soaked.
    http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id9.html

Not Robert. Elmer was his first name.

Your correct and that’s what I get for typing faster than thinking.

That’s OK. You’re not alone.

I didn’t find Elmer’s initials identified on any of the usual ‘03 information sights that I frequent. So, I googled “RIA inspector” and there he was.

I took the ‘03 to the range today to try to figure out the open sight at 100 yards. I used the battle sight and 6 of the 10 bullets that I fired stayed within a six inch group. Unfortunately, I had variable 8-10 mph crosswinds from the left the pushed everything mostly right. I adjusted the windage but only succeeded in making things worse. I decided to bag it for now and try again under better wind conditions.

5. Default

Most of the First Marine Division carried M1903s to that battle. Also BARs and M1917 water cooled MGs. The Japanese were similarly armed, if you consider a BAR a LMG. From many personal interviews with Marine veterans of Guadalcanal (First Mar Div Assn. reunion,1997) is where I came by this info. Yes, the 1st Raider Bn. had numerous M1s, and there were the assorted Thompson and Reising SMGs (the Japanese were lacking in SMGs) but the average rifleman had an '03. Yes, there was also considerable contributions by the Cactus Air Force.

Merc:

This will explain all of the sight selections on the M1903 ladder sight: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3vg...bkk/edit?pli=1 Note: some don't have the Volley sight notch on the top cross member, after WW1 the powers that be decided it wasn't necessary, and deleted to save money in manufacturing.

RHB

Richard,

Thanks for the sight information. I used the notch at the slide’s lowest setting and that position yielded a good elevation placement. I’ll experiment with the windage the next time out.

I had an issue with the cartridges that I used. It was my first time shooting both the ‘03 and M2 bullets that I substituted for .308 boat tail bullets that I have been shooting without issues in my other 30-06 rifles (M1917 and 03A3).

I shot 10 uncrimped rounds and all 10 case necks were covered with soot. I found a variety of opinions on other forums as to the possible cause. Some said crimping will help while others say crimping is not necessary. I don’t crimp the boat tails and don’t have soot on the case necks.

I’ll shoot a few boat tails through the ‘03 and a few M2s through the ‘17 to see if the problem follows the bullet.

The case neck sooting problem followed the bullet. I shot 5 uncrimped BTs and M2s last evening with the ‘03 and the BT case necks had minimal sooting while the M2 case necks had considerable sooting. So, should the next step be to try crimping the M2 bullets?
    Last edited by Merc; 08-13-2019 at 03:53.

I bought a crimping die a few weeks ago and crimped twenty 30-06 rounds loaded with M2 bullets. I went to the range after dinner with about 2 hours of daylight remaining and shot 10 M2 bullets in the ‘03 and noticed some improvement in neck sooting and accuracy.

Will try a magnum rifle primer and IMR 4064 powder instead of a standard rifle primer and BL-C (2) powder and see what happens.

I had both the ‘03 and ‘17 at the range this evening and they both drew a lot of attention from my fellow shooters.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-25-2019 at 05:24.