Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920

Thread: Buying a M1903

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I assumed that the '03 was rebuilt by a US arsenal before being sent to Greece in 47 or 48. But after seeing the new HS barrel, the dark undisturbed bluing, the pinned floor plate, the 03A3 bolt and stock, I suspect that the Greeks did all this work themselves.

They had the rifle in their possession for more than 50 years. Why did they suddenly decide to return thousands of old rifles to the US? Did the CMP request that they be returned?
    they were lend lease, (IIRC) and obsolete, I would guess they could only return them (vs sell them to other importers like the mausers and enfields )

and I bet CMP waived some cash in front of them for the ammo purchased as well

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    they were lend lease, (IIRC) and obsolete, I would guess they could only return them (vs sell them to other importers like the mausers and enfields )

and I bet CMP waived some cash in front of them for the ammo purchased as well

The '03s were obsolete when we sent them to Greece but I'm glad to see that they took the time and effort to maintain and preserve them. I wonder how many M1s are sitting in warehouses around the world.
    Last edited by Merc; 11-05-2019 at 02:49. Reason: darn spell check

I assumed that the '03 was rebuilt by a US arsenal before being sent to Greece in 47 or 48. But after seeing the new HS barrel, the dark undisturbed bluing, the pinned floor plate, the 03A3 bolt and stock, I suspect that the Greeks did all this work themselves.

They had the rifle in their possession for more than 50 years. Why did they suddenly decide to return thousands of old rifles to the US? Did the CMP request that they be returned?
    As noted by lyman, the rifles were loaned to the Greeks. When the Greeks no longer had need for the rifles, they properly notified the U.S. Army and requested disposition instructions. As required by law, the Army notified the CMP that the rifles were available and the CMP paid to have the rifles shipped back to the U.S.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-05-2019 at 03:58.

Thanks to John and Lyman, I now have a better understanding of how the process of purchasing rifles from the CMP works. Do you know when they were returned?

A friend bought the ‘03 from the CMP in July, 2002 and promptly put it in his gun safe for 17 years. He has a keen interest in milsurp rifle’s but simply put it away without removing the original Greek partially solidified axel-grease preservative, checking out the critical measurements and shooting it. He also had no idea that it was a Greek return. I kinda feel bad for my friend. He never got to know the old war horse.

I appreciate the effort the Greeks put into preserving the rifle. The preservative may have been difficult to remove, but it did a great job of preventing rust. The measurements are fine and it’s an accurate shooter.

Blog Entries

Thanks to John and Lyman, I now have a better understanding of how the process of purchasing rifles from the CMP works. Do you know when they were returned?

A friend bought the ‘03 from the CMP in July, 2002 and promptly put it in his gun safe for 17 years. He has a keen interest in milsurp rifle’s but simply put it away without removing the original Greek partially solidified axel-grease preservative, checking out the critical measurements and shooting it. He also had no idea that it was a Greek return. I kinda feel bad for my friend. He never got to know the old war horse.

I appreciate the effort the Greeks put into preserving the rifle. The preservative may have been difficult to remove, but it did a great job of preventing rust. The measurements are fine and it’s an accurate shooter.
    that time frame is right, early 2000's, and they sold out in a year or so (some varieties quicker)

1917's,
    RIA low number
    RIA high number
    Rem 1903
    rem 1903 C stock,
    SA low number
    SA high number

and a few other options I am forgetting,

there was a lot of stuff returned, I bought a few myself,

about the same time the 22's were pulled from the units (and a lot of schools) and sold off as well,

Late 2001.

J.B.

Thanks again guys.

I visited Cabelas in Wheeling, WV a few weeks ago just to look around. A few boxes of odd ammo on the shelves, still no bare bullets, cases or gun powder for reloading. The salesman says they’ve been getting stuff in but word must get around and the hoarders show up.

I checked out their “Gun Library” as I always do for milsurp rifles when I’m there. Milsurps haven’t been very common in this Gun Library for the past year or two. So, to my surprise, there was a group of rifles sitting together in a rack like they could have been someone’s collection. There was one Springfield M1903 from the 1920s, three 03A3s from the 1940s (don’t remember if they were all Remingtons) and one Eddystone M1917. All appeared to be in good condition with original barrels and looked like they had been cleaned and the actions were well oiled. The 03’s stock might have been sanded and refinished because the cartouches were faint.

The price tags were surprising. $1500 each. I haven’t been back but would be willing to bet they’ve all been sold. Cabelas has always listened to offers so they might have knocked off some money, but the days of buying these rifles for around $700 each might be gone.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-18-2021 at 07:19. Reason: Darned auto-correction

True gun values. Interesting sight.

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/Sprin...storical-value

https://truegunvalue.com/rifle/Remin...storical-value

Click your mouse on the paper clip on the front page of this thread to view some outstanding photos of a Remington Model 03-A3 and several Springfield Model 1903s.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-11-2022 at 12:33.