Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What you get in a box at auction

I love buying box lots. Never know what you will find until you get home and go through everything.

A M1922 barrel 22 caliber with the threads turned down to fit a Krag receiver. The bolt has been modified for 22 rim fire. The extractor has been lengthen for the 22 caliber.

DO not know what I am going to do with it yet but may build a 22.

Has anyone seen a setup like this? Any suggestions?

"Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Firing pin hole does not look particularly offset in that photo - are you sure the set-up wasn't made for a .22 Hornet (which would certainly require the extractor extension)?

The firing pin hole is dead center. I was only going by the M1922 barrel being 22 caliber. I could have been re-chambered for 22 hornet and I will need to check that.

4. Default

Where did you find this and do you have any history?

I gotta couple receivers if you wanna play around.LOL
    Last edited by JBinIll; 03-28-2016 at 09:16.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

I purchased this and other parts at an auction. I have no other history. Can someone tell me the case size of a 22 Hornet? Case length and diameter and the base diameter. I want to check the bolt and chamber.
    The scope blocks are going no my M1922. But the other parts are a question. If I can determine what the barrel is chambered in I will most likely sell them.

Default Another possibility...

for a centerfire conversion of the Krag is the R2 Lovell/.22-3000, which is based on the old .25-20 Single Shot case, both larger and longer than the Hornet, and capable of better ballistics. I have an 1892 Krag converted to the R2, but using a commercial barrel, and it works and shoots well.

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

Here's a couple pictures of the 25-20 single shot. One shows the dimensions, the other one shows it side by side with the 25-20 Winchester. Let's hear more about your find!

25_20_SS.jpg25_20_SS.png

jn

Ok the inside of the bolt for the case base is .3585. The chamber is .2825. The chamber is too large for a 22 mag round.
    Is there an easy way to get a casting of the chamber? Caulk maybe?

10. Default

My brother recently picked up a nice old conversion of a Krag to R2 Lovell and is still trying to get the ammo/reloading figured out. He was told he should use actual .223 diameter bullets which have been a bit hard to come by around here. Any input, information, advice would be very helpful!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhb View Post
    for a centerfire conversion of the Krag is the R2 Lovell/.22-3000, which is based on the old .25-20 Single Shot case, both larger and longer than the Hornet, and capable of better ballistics. I have an 1892 Krag converted to the R2, but using a commercial barrel, and it works and shoots well.

mhb - Mike