Default 455 Enfield revolver measurement needed

I've been trying to get my new to me 1924 Enfield MK VI (Webley) 455 revolver repaired and shooting. It has turned into quite a project. Turns out that the guy that "shaved" the cylinder, before I owned it, did it with a hand grinder of some kind. The face of the cyl. was uneven and the gun wouldn't close with 45 Auto Rim cases in the cyl.. Luckily he didn't grind deep enough, so I disassembled it and turned the cyl. and the extractor on my lathe. Then it dawns on me I don't really know how far to go. So if someone here has an original Webley or Enfield 455 or a properly shaved cyl. one, I would sure like to know what the gap between the rear of the cartridge and the frame measures. I've got mine turned down so the gap is .003 (3 thousands) between the cartridge and the frame. That seems a bit tight but the gun closes and indexes correctly now. A measurement between the cyl. and the frame, without a case in the cyl., on a correctly shaved cyl. would work too. I sure would appreciate either of those measurements if someone could take the time to do it.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

If you don't get an answer in a reasonable amount of time, then register and post here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...h-Commonwealth

It's the place where a lot of Wobbly guys hang out.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

LOL JB!!
    Wobbly Webley, what a hoot! They really are kind of wobbly aren't they.
    Thanks for the site reference. I'm already registered there. I'll wait to see if someone here can help me first. It drives me nuts when guys post the same thing on multiple sites.
    Last edited by DaveL; 03-25-2016 at 01:26.

A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

SAAMI specs for .45 Auto Rim call for a minimum headspace (distance from standing breech to rear of cylinder) of .090", maximum .104". That should be all you need when trimming the cylinder to accept the Auto Rim cartridge - or .45 ACP with clips made to standard .040" thickness.

SAAMI rim thickness maximum for the .45 AR case is .089" - yielding a minimum clearance of just .001".

SAAMI45AR.jpg

Thanks Parashooter, that's the info I need. I guess I'm good where I'm at, at .003

JBinIll, that's an interesting thread. I wonder if he ever made any cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    . . .I guess I'm good where I'm at, at .003. . .
    Only if you know the rim thickness of your test case is close to the maximum end of tolerance. If it's nearer minimum, you might eventually have problems with thicker rims. Better to gauge the headspace and ensure it's at least .090".

Thanks again for the tip Parashooter. I'll do just that.

There is a reason that Webley bullets are hollow based. Mike the mouths of the cylinder and then mike the bore and it will become evident