Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default As was pointed-out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    I suppose you could have it reemed by a gun smith to 22 long rifle, but if it's an older gun it might hurt the value later.
    earlier, repeating mechanisms designed or altered specifically for the Short cartridge will not function properly with the Long or LR cartridges.
    More importantly, the rifling pitch for the Short is much slower than for the LR (1/22" or slower vs. 1/16", respectively. The LR bullet will not be properly stabilized in the slower pitch (though the .22 Long, with its 29 or 30 grain bullet, the same as the Short, will shoot as well through the slower pitch - the LR shoots miserably through the slower-pitch barrels designed for the Short or Long. Those guns designed to shoot all 3 types interchangeably or alternatively use the LR rifling pitch: while the Short or Long are, perhaps, a bit less accurate through the faster-than-needed rifling pitch, they shoot MUCH better than the LR through the too-slow rifling.
    As was also noted earlier, it is physically impossible to chamber the Long or LR round in the Short chamber without deforming it, jamming the case into the rifling, and, most likely, firing the round by crushing before it is fully chambered. The Long round uses the same case length as the LR, so has only a bit longer jump to reach the origin of the rifling in the LR chamber - the Short bullet has a much longer jump, but, being the same diameter as the case itself, does not suffer too badly when fired in the LR chamber.

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    If the rifle is actually chambered for shorts, then the LR may have to be jammed into the rifling to get it to chamber.
    What kind of rifle did you get? It's either very old or one of the later 'gallery rifles'?
    I picked up at the MACA gunshow in Timonium, Md. a 1910 Enfield trainer with New Zealand property markings on it in .22 caliber. No marks indicate as to whether it is short, long, or long rifle.

I did remove the bolt and a 22 LR cartridge slid easily into the chamber. So, I guess it shoots lr.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    I picked up at the MACA gunshow in Timonium, Md. a 1910 Enfield trainer with New Zealand property markings on it in .22 caliber. No marks indicate as to whether it is short, long, or long rifle.

I did remove the bolt and a 22 LR cartridge slid easily into the chamber. So, I guess it shoots lr.
    Enfield Trainers are 22lr. If it came with an empty magazine housing, it is usually marked 22 on it. It also might be stamped on the stock.

As for the OP's rifle, it was made to shoot shorts as others have said. To alter it would not only lessen it's accuracy but its value as well. There are plenty
    of 22lr rifles out there. Even ones like the rifle you bought. Buy one in long rifle and sell the 22 short if not happy with it. Too many old rifles have been altered
    by those not knowing any better,
    Last edited by n64atlas; 03-24-2016 at 09:27.

The Winchester single shot Model 1885 was used for training during WW1 where it was known as the Winchester Winder Musket. These were chambered for the 22 LR
    and most were chambered for the 22 short cartridge. As these became surplus, many were rechambered to 22 Long Rifle with disappointing results on the target range.

The Hoffer-Thompson 22 short used in the Model 1903 Springfield with cartridge holders were sometimes converted to 22 long rifle too, also with bad results

Heck man, shoot shorts in it, that'd be my solution. If you really have to shoot l.r.s there are a caboodle of long rifle auto loaders out there. Its a lot easier to feed your old rifle now that shorts are becoming available again.

6. Default

AS I remember it, these rifles chambered in 22 short were called Gallery rifles. They were commonly used in carnivals in my youth with shooting galleries as side shows to circuses and carnivals. One of the of the favorites was to have either the ace of spades or ace of clubs on a target frame. It cost 10 cents for three shots and the object was to completely obliterated the "spot" for which you won a prize. Of course the operator was the judge of whether the spot was completely eliminated and very few prizes were awarded. Once the paper was torn near the spot, it was practically impossible to destroy the remainder of the spot.
    FWIW

long term use of 22 shorts only in a long rifle chamber can also cause a problem with lead build-up in the longer chamber. In a bad case the long rifle will not chamber

I have 2 rifles that are chambered for 22 short. One is a Hamilton model 27 ( think this one will take a 22 long as well ) and due to the construction of the rifle, you would never want to chamber and fire a higher pressure 22 long rifle. Other is a Remington 241 that is a gallery rifle, intended to be used in a carnival shooting gallery. 241 is a tube feed semi auto set up for shorts only, don't think you would ever want to try to convert it to 22 LR. Don't think there is much of a reason to convert any rifle chambered for short to fire long rifle, you can still get 22 shorts easy enough. Want to get a rifle to fire 22 long rifle, buy one that will from the factory. Just my opinion,
    Chris

[QUOTE=n64atlas;451840]Enfield Trainers are 22lr. If it came with an empty magazine housing, it is usually marked 22 on it. It also might be stamped on the stock.

I removed the upper rear handguard and saw the letters HV stamped atop the barrel near the rear sight. Perhaps, this means long rifle vs short or long??????

The HV stamp relates to the 303 cartridge that was original to your barrel before the rim fire liner was installed.