Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 22 lr in a 22 short chambered rifle

Will a 22 long rifle rimfire cartridge chamber in a 22 short rifle chambered for 22 shorts?

2. Default

most are designed as "short, long, long rifle" Try it

On the Winchester Model 1890 the difference was in the carrier. A carrier for a .22 Short would not load a .22 Long Rifle. Remington also made some auto ,22's for the Short, and they will not load a Long Rifle. Just depends on the gun.

If the rifle is actually chambered for shorts, then the LR may have to be jammed into the rifling to get it to chamber.
    What kind of rifle did you get? It's either very old or one of the later 'gallery rifles'?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I seen to remember Browning made a rifle chambered for shorts only. Kind or rare I think.

Have a 141 Remington auto in 22 short only. Looks exactly like a Browning Auto. The barrel is rifled especially for the shorts. Bought from a WW1 fighter pilot and later a Texas Ranger. It was his favorite and was the last gun to go when he sold it to me when he was in his late 90s.

Accurate and very low noise.

A Short is .289" shorter than a LR. .686" OAL vs .975". Case length is .423" vs .595". So no, a Long Rifle will not chamber in a Short only chamber.
    Spelling and grammar count!

leftyo Guest

there are plenty of shorts only guns out there, if the gun is marked for 22shorts, thats what you feed it!

I suppose you could have it reemed by a gun smith to 22 long rifle, but if it's an older gun it might hurt the value later.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

The 22 short rifling is one in twenty and one in twenty four twist, while the 22 Long Rifle has a one in sixteen twist. If the 22 short chamber is rechambered to 22 long rifle, it will not be as accurate because
    of the difference in twist