Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1884 Trapdoor Picked up today

I purchased this rifle at a show today for $450. The lock was missing the mainspring, which I had. The cleaning rod is missing and the stack and sling swivels are missing. The bore is beautiful and the rifle appears to be in great shape.

Serial Number is 492118. There is a SWP 1890 cartouche. I already replaced the mainspring and it has a very nice 3 click tumbler.

How did I do? Comments welcome.

Tkacook
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

A few more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Looks like you did REALLY well! We should all be so lucky . . .
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Nice rifle! And, you didn't chip any wood when replacing the mainspring! Good job!

Thank you for the comments so far. I am happy with it. The Buffington sight was frozen, but is working freely now. It just need a bit of oil. Can't wait to try it out. I want to cast some of the 500 grainers to test this one.

mine loves 405 gr lead bullets. I have 2 trapdoors that go to the range very often.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

Does anyone here have a recommendation for good commercially available ammo to feed a .45-70 trapdoor? Who manufactures high quality black powder rounds that mimic the original?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

8. Default

Try Buffalo Arms. I have bought 45-70 black owder in the past

Can anyone do a SRS search on that serial number?

I found an original cupped cleaning rod. Really completes the rifle.

10. Default

IIRC on another board a very similar rifle was identified as a cadet rifle, hence the missing swivels and cleaning rod are "correct".