Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rant

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    When people get all their instruction in firearms from movies and tv......

you may be right.

2. Default

They were learning, if nothing else, the operation of their firearms. They were also, getting a start into the shooting sports.

While, they may not fire their weapons in the same way you or I, do, they are still getting involved, and, they will probably, change their shooting styles.

My first handgun, was a little .22 single action, for fast draw, as much as anything. ( remember Paladin? ) Then I started using it for hunting. the year was 1957.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner View Post
    They were learning, if nothing else, the operation of their firearms. They were also, getting a start into the shooting sports.

While, they may not fire their weapons in the same way you or I, do, they are still getting involved, and, they will probably, change their shooting styles.

My first handgun, was a little .22 single action, for fast draw, as much as anything. ( remember Paladin? ) Then I started using it for hunting. the year was 1957.

there were some great leather rigs on those old gunfighter shows. encore western channel runs them all day long. if you like to see a lot of trapdoor carbines watch wagon train with ward bond.

Old thread but I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out that most CCW and even many PD courses require you to qualify at 7 yards (21'). I think pistol practice at 7 or 15 yards is more important than starting at 25 yards. Dumping rounds down range at any distance may be entertaining, but not very educational.

I did my CCW at about 7 yards I think. Not much of a challenge since I mostly shoot pistols at 25 to 35 yards and sometimes to 150 yards. I shoot for small groups except at 150 which is a challenge to hit a gong.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    I shoot for small groups except at 150 which is a challenge to hit a gong.

probably the most fun you can have with a handgun. we used to have a big strip mine garbage pit close by when I was a kid. it always had a standing pond of water in it. we would throw empty bottles in the pond and then see how far away you could hit it. I miss that place. my favorite trash gun was a .22 stoeger luger. later on I got into the sillouette shoots with a TC contender.

7. Default

thanks guys for all the replies. I guess I learned a few things. after all those years of practicing to rapidly draw my weapon and hit what i'm aiming at at any practical range, i'm to advance as close as I can and empty my magazine.
    just kidding, i'm to old and crippled to rapidly advance, and as I said in the title it's just a rant.
    Last edited by free1954; 06-17-2016 at 02:54.