Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rant

Default rant

yesterday was the first time in a few years that I shot at the public range a few miles from my home. my grandson and I took a couple of vintage military pistols with us to shoot at the 25 yard targets. there were about half a dozen young guys with their high capacity plastic pistols who would walk up to about 5 or 10 feet from their silhouette targets and empty their magazines as fast as they could. just exactly what were they practicing for? I could understand if they shooting multiple targets, but if you cant hit with one shot at that range you shouldn't own a gun.
    the only good thing about it was they all left brand new brass laying on the ground.

Yes free brass is best. I hope you reload. That's one reason I like private clubs, no yahoos for the most part. And if dues are high enough you see a nicer group of shooters.

I do reload. but none of the calibers I picked up. i'll just give them away to someone who does. I usually shoot on a friends property but we couldn't get in yesterday due to storm damage on the road from a couple of days ago. and all the private clubs around here you have to wait for someone to die to get in.

The club I belong to is limited to 250 members and isn't cheap either. But the facility and amenities are fantastic!

They're more into "self defense" shooting than conventional target shooting. My club noticed a demand for that type of shooting about ten years ago with the increase of members having CCW permits. Our rules demand that there be no one forward of the shooting line when the range is "hot", but we were set up so that only targets of 25yds and beyond could be accessed from the line, nothing shorter. Also we prohibit that "fast as you can pull the trigger" stuff. Fortunately we had the land to install a short handgun range specific for the type of shooting those mostly younger shooters were looking for. We inserted it into a U shaped berm; 15' high. We call it the 10' range. There is no bench setup in there to sit at. They can go in there and bang away to their heart's content and only bother others of their own kind.

6. Default

We have a great club, indoor pistol, outdoor pistol, 200 yd, skeet, trap, action pistol stuff, training. Don't like the way the 600 yd is set up but at least we have it.
    $75 year. And there's lots of people who won't join 'cuz I can shoot on BLM where ever I want for free'. And then they get p'o'd because the BLM west of here only lets people shoot on a range they constructed. Sign in. With ID recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    They're more into "self defense" shooting than conventional target shooting. My club noticed a demand for that type of shooting about ten years ago with the increase of members having CCW permits. Our rules demand that there be no one forward of the shooting line when the range is "hot", but we were set up so that only targets of 25yds and beyond could be accessed from the line, nothing shorter. Also we prohibit that "fast as you can pull the trigger" stuff. Fortunately we had the land to install a short handgun range specific for the type of shooting those mostly younger shooters were looking for. We inserted it into a U shaped berm; 15' high. We call it the 10' range. There is no bench setup in there to sit at. They can go in there and bang away to their heart's content and only bother others of their own kind.

I guess I should just be happy more young people are getting into shooting sports, but I've never been a fan of the spray and pray mentality. years back we used to practice the double tap method on multiple targets at 15 yards. that's about as close as I've come to that type of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    Just exactly what were they practicing for?
    I think that's the whole point . . . they weren't practicing at all. Learning to do anything well takes time and effort. The sort of young people you describe have no interest in setting a goal and then working hard to achieve it. Possibly they don't even have the capacity to do so. For some folks, life is all about "instant gratification". Sad.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    I think that's the whole point . . . they weren't practicing at all. Learning to do anything well takes time and effort. The sort of young people you describe have no interest in setting a goal and then working hard to achieve it. Possibly they don't even have the capacity to do so. For some folks, life is all about "instant gratification". Sad.
    joe. what they are doing is , what we called playing cowboys and indians , when I was a kid so long long ago. You gotta bare in mind that they were never allowed to play with cap pistols or rubber band guns. so this is the way they are making up for it. guess you can blame their over protective parents

I had some of my pistol sights changed to adjustable sights with a red fiber optic front sight. It's great. I can hit smaller steel plates at longer ranges. I guess these old eyes are not what they used to be. Getting old is not for sissies.