Default S&W Model 520: The .357 Magnum Military & Police

Introducing the Model 520 I purchased today from a fellow revolver fan. New in box, unfired, deep rich bluing, and beautiful stocks. Came with original factory serialized to gun box and cleaning tools. I think it's gorgeous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous gun, what a great find!! It's always so cool when these great old revolvers show up in pristine condition ....and wind up in the hands of someone who truly appreciates them. As da gimp would say "ya done good kid."

Thanks for the kind words, Art. I'm really happy with this find however, the jury is still out on whether I should take it to the range and shoot or stash it away in the deepest, darkest corner of my safe. I know it's value will only increase over time. I have three other N-Frames; a 5" 27-2 and a couple 28-2s one of which is a NYSP issue gun. Shooting accurate, full-power .357 loads out of these heavy N-frames is a real pleasure.

So Very Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Art. I'm really happy with this find however, the jury is still out on whether I should take it to the range and shoot or stash it away in the deepest, darkest corner of my safe. I know it's value will only increase over time. I have three other N-Frames; a 5" 27-2 and a couple 28-2s one of which is a NYSP issue gun. Shooting accurate, full-power .357 loads out of these heavy N-frames is a real pleasure.
    I certainly understand not shooting it. I got two pristine (or nearly so) revolvers in the past several years; my Model 27-2 which I got with the presentation case and papers not a mark on it. The original owner fired a dozen rounds through it. No marks on the cylinder at all. I shoot it very seldom but have put two or three boxes through it over the years. When I got my NIB model 64 I put a box of 158 gr. lrn through it. I just can't help myself

I certainly understand not shooting this one. It's one of those guns which is not rare but not common and putting it up and bringing it out once a year or so to wipe it off and admire it is certainly an understandable way to go.

A big "N" frame 'Smith is such a joy to shoot with full house Magnums and my old retired Texas Highway Patrol Model 28 gets some fairly regular work with them. I understand why many Tx. State law dogs let a respectful tear fall when they were taken out of service.
    Last edited by Art; 03-20-2016 at 06:53.

6. Default

A nice find. Sort of a modern day version of the old 38-44 Heavy Duty.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    A nice find. Sort of a modern day version of the old 38-44 Heavy Duty.
    Pretty close. The old 38/44 was in some ways a test platform. A special load was built for it the .38 Special High Velocity which pushed a 158 gr. round nose bullet at a bit over 1100fps. Very near current .357 Magnum loadings for 158 gr. lead bullets. The ammunition for it which was marked .38 Special High Velocity on the box and .38-H.V. on the cartridge case. I was given a box of this stuff and very foolishly cranked off some of it in my trusty S&W Model 15. It definitely had .357 Magnum blast and recoil. I still have a few rounds from that box lying around. Of course the .357 Magnum was loaded a good bit hotter hence the extra cartridge length to keep somebody blowing himself up shooting it in some beater or small frame .38.

So, yep its a lot like the 28/44. Only 3,000 of these guns were made for the NY State Police who decided they didn't like them so they were sold off by the NYPD. The N.Y. State Toopies probably decided they liked the Model 28 better. A big old giant .357 Magnum with fixed sights just wasn't going to catch on.