Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bent op-rod

1. Default Bent op-rod

How straight does an op-rod have to be to work properly and can they be straightened. Had a guy give me 3 op-rods and they have a little bend in each one. Looking to salvage them if possible.

The Op rod should have a natural curve to it. A bent rod would be noticeably bent and look damaged.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

3. Default

Thank you. These rods have a slight arch in the spring tube. Didn't know if this is normal or not. If these rods are normal I just lucked into 3 good rods. They came with springs also.

I'd start out by putting each through the basic "tilt test", and take it from there.

Your lucky guy. Try to buy a op rod today =$$.

Your a lucky guy. Try to buy a op rod today =$$

Quote Originally Posted by mjpchief View Post
    Thank you. These rods have a slight arch in the spring tube. Didn't know if this is normal or not. If these rods are normal I just lucked into 3 good rods. They came with springs also.
    You could post a picture if you're still unsure... but it sounds like they're normal to me. You have a pretty good friend to give you three good rods with springs! As Joem says - Lucky guy!!!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Op rods could not slide without the proper bends.
    Proper bends on free op rods are not the only worrys. You also need to check the specs on the tab, undersized worn tab will dismount when fired. Piston size also needs to be measured with a micrometer for proper size. They can be rebuilt but not cheap if tab and piston need to be brought back in spec

Good catch Orlando.

10. Default

If needed, there is a company called Columbus Machine that can check and rebuild the op rods.