Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slight problem loading .40 S&W

I've been having a slight problem loading S&W .40 with cast SWC. All cases are decaped/sized with a Lee die set and expanded with the powder through die. All the bullets are cast SWC from MO Bullet. Most of my cases will load and chamber but some will not. I have LE Wilson cases gauge and I try all of them after loading. A few will barely enter the cases gauge. Some will go half way. I can remove the decap pin and size them again and many will fit an chamber. Some however will only go part way into the case gauge leaving the bottom 1/4" out of the gauge. I know these will never chamber. I try to pick up my fired brass but maybe I'm getting a few range pick up. I don't understand what the problem is. I have ordered a bulge buster die that I will try on some of the cases to see if that the problem. Any ideas??

check your crimp !!! then check your trouble ones for short cases--most dies do not have a TAPER CRIMP,,which you need
    I use the barrel out of the pistol for a case gauge

I have placed ones that drop in the cases gauge along side one that will not. I can see no difference or measure any difference. I can measure a slight bulge at the bottom just above the rim.

May be that the bad brass has been reloaded too often?

I've had similar problems with other calibers (don't load 40S&W). Most of the time it's caused by over crimping.
    Are you shooting a Glock? I've seen brass shot through a Glock with excessively bulged case bases.
    To me Glock = no lead bullets (polygonal rifling), bulged cases, plastic frame with sheet metal rails and a rectangular firing pin that occasionally pops primers.
    JMHO
    Dave
    Last edited by DaveL; 03-17-2016 at 07:36.

I'm shooting these in a CZ75. I may be picking up brass fired in a glock. With all the brass on the ground it's hardtop tell which ones are yours.

I'm not sure about all Glock models but you can tell by the odd off center, rectangular firing pin hit if it was fired in a Glock. Anytime I see that type of primer strike the brass goes in the scrap pile for the very reason I don't want the problems you are having.
    I seem to remember someone makes some kind of swaging die to bust the bulge on Glock fired cases.
    Last edited by DaveL; 03-18-2016 at 09:08.

1986 or newer Lee dies sets come with a taper crimp.
    What's your OAL? What bullet weight?
    Spelling and grammar count!

Redding push through GRX sizing die. Especially made for 40 cal and should solve your problems. They have a bottle adapter that will catch all your brass. Sinclair has a video on Brownells and its also probably on YouTube.

I' loading 170 gr SWC's. It has to be I'm picking up range brass other my own . I have a brass catcher. Don't have the make at hand but it's a big net type that catches most of them if the port is close to the net. If I load FMJ's I have less problems but they cost way more.