Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smith-Corona "C" prefix rifles

Does anyone know how many rifles have the "C" prefix? I always thought less than 5000 were so marked. And yes I would love to find the Remington that matches mine. C3711425

Jim

Looks like 3600 serial numbers (C3708000 - C3711599) but probably a few less as at least 2% of all S-C receivers were scrapped prior to assembly.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

That's what I thought also....but...if you look at m1903rifle's comment in your thread about SC rifles he shows a picture of reciever # C3713068.

Jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiminLE View Post
    That's what I thought also....but...if you look at m1903rifle's comment in your thread about SC rifles he shows a picture of reciever # C3713068.

Jim
    JiminLE, what is the ship in your avatar?

Hmmm . . . I see that. Digging around in the tables at the back of Bruce Canfield's "An Illustrated Guide to the '03 Service Rifle", I found this: "Based on extant evidence of S-C overruns, as high as SN 3711893, it is estimated that approximately 4000 such S-C serial numbers were stamped, then ordered prefixed by Ordnance with a hand-stamped "C" in order to avoid duplicate serial numbers". Now m1903rifle's gun pushes that up even further to at least 5069 overrun serial numbers!

As I've noted elsewhere, each time we identify more serial numbers used by Smith Corona, it automatically pushes the estimated assembly date for any given rifle (especially those in mid- to later 1943) back to a (hypothetically) earlier date than is indicated in current serial number/production date tables.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Rebound,

It's the USS Gridley DLG-21...I was on her from '71 thru late '74...

Jim

7. Default

The USS Gridley (DD380) was one third of the Seventh Fleet in the Med After the end of WWII. She was replaced by the USS Power about March 1946. The USS Gridley,USS Craven, and USS Providence (CL82) Were the Seventh Fleet in early 1946. I served on USS Providence during that period.
    FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 03-15-2016 at 06:39.

Cosine26, I've been lucky to have served on the USS Gridley DLG-21 and also a couple of years ago got to go on a day cruise on the new USS Gridley DDG-101. Sure was strange to see female sailors on board.

Jim

Mine is not a Smith Corona but a Remington
    Last edited by 1mark; 03-26-2016 at 05:48.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

Z prefix Remingtons...AND consecutive serial numbers.......NICE!! You going to build up the receiver?

Jim