Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default weak Argentine '09 extractor

A few months back I glommed this '09 Argentine Mauser that has been converted to .308W. It is very passably accurate, but I'm having problems with the extractor. When I extract the case after firing, the case slips off the extractor after I've pulled the bolt back an inch or so. I then have to pick the case out by hand.

The extraction is easy, the extractor simply does not hold onto the case after an inch or so.

Is this because the extractor was designed for a different case or is the extractor likely just weak?

Thanks for any assistance.

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

You may end up doing what I had to do . . . .

Swap out the extractor for one that was used on a German-made M'98, in 8mm cal.

Works like a charm. --Jim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    You may end up doing what I had to do . . . .

Swap out the extractor for one that was used on a German-made M'98, in 8mm cal.

Works like a charm. --Jim
    Thanks, Jim

Another thought on your rifle . . . .

It may be that the other owner beveled the lower-front portion of the claw, in an effort to improve the feed from the magazine. . . .and went TOO far!

He may have improved, or smoothed up the magazine feed, but the extraction then suffered. --Jim

Someone ground the hook to allow for closing on a chambered ctg. Usually the mark of a novice gunsmith. There is nothing you can do except replace it.

7. Default

Thanks, guys.

Bud, would the Brownell's extractor that you linked, which includes a 30.06 pre-fit model, work with a .308 case? I mean...is the 30.06 abd .308 case heads the same or similar?

Thanks.

8. Default

I think that a "ground extractor" may be the trouble.

I've got several other '09 Argentines, including one that was drilled and tapped, but is still in 7.65 x 53 and has never had an issue with the extractor.

I took pics of the bolt face from the problem Argentine and the one that never gives me trouble....see if you can guess which one is from the .308W Argentine that the cases keep slipping from during extraction...

I'd say the one on the left. --Jim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I'd say the one on the left. --Jim
    Yep.

Anyone know if the extractors from Numerich or Sarco require any fitting?

Thanks