Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reloading for 7.5x55 Swiss

I may be coming into the possession of a K-31 soon, and I would like to prep and do my homework in advance. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. What are good dies to use for reloading? I normally use (and prefer) Lee dies, but I'm not opposed to RCBS or Hornady, etc. Please keep in mind that I'm NOT rich... so I'm not gonna buy a bunch of Dillon stuff. I've been told that some brands are not well suited for the K-31, so this is my reasoning for this question.
    2. I plan on using .308 diameter 168 gr HPBT Match bullets... but if there a better bullet for the K-31 than the 168 gr HPBT Match, then I'd like to know what works.
    3. What is a good load to use? I plan on using 4895 (either IMR or H), but I also always have 4064 on hand. I'm not opposed to a different powder, so any load data associated is good advice.

Thanks very much to all...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

1. Lee dies work fine for K31 and earlier Swiss 7.5's, as do RCBS and some others. K31-specific dies are unnecessary, often cost more, and won't FL size for the early models. The difference is body taper. Base, neck, and shoulder-slope are the same.

2. HPBT 168's are fine. For 200-yard matches, consider lighter bullets to reduce recoil and cost.

3. 4895 and 4064 are both good choices. For detailed loading information visit http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...Reloading-Tips

To help avoid a couple of common loading errors for K31 newcomers, see http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...7/K31-Misfires

Thanks so very much Para... Much appreciated! Chuck (Butlersrangers) said you would know what the best dies and data were anyway, so I'm glad to have you weigh in!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

4. Default

As you can see from Para's photos, there's a lot of variation in Swiss chambers. A friend and I each have K31s and he doesn't get good results with my Hornady dies. Says the brass is overworked. So I'll suggest beg, borrow or steal a mic and figure out the minimum sizing you can get away with.

Thanks for those links, Para.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 03-14-2016 at 07:51.

Here's a light recoil load that has worked well for me:

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

I use the CH4D K31 dies. I tried their regular 7.5x55 die first, and it took a lot of effort to size down a once fired K31 case, despite the fact that I have a big Redding press. Seriously, one was enough and I was quickly asking Dave if I could trade for a K31 set, which he did for me. What I like the most about the K31 is you have a rifle consistent enough that you can see the difference a little change in charge makes. Rather than hunt around for a different height front blade or modify mine, I was able to reduce the charge by a few tenths at a time until it was on target at 100yds with 168s using the blade that came on it. 45.1gr of DP85 (surplus Accurate 2700, the old fully spherical powder) got me shooting 10s and Xs on the SR-1 with a 6 o'clock hold. That should be close for a center of mass hold for 200 without changing the sight setting. I'll try a match or two before Camp Perry to verify that theory.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 03-19-2016 at 03:00.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

If "it took a lot of effort to size down a once fired K31 case, despite . . . a big Redding press" you're probably using the wrong lube. Try plain, cheap castor oil. Nothing is slicker!

I've always used Imperial sizing die wax, but I'll try the castor sometime. Your Redding die sizes the shoulder about the same as my K31 CH4D die. Oh, and come to think of it, I might not have been using the Redding press at the time, more likely the littlest RCBS.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 03-19-2016 at 06:48.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Not my Redding die. Don't own, want, or need one. Picture on right came from someone who did.

I load for 4 swiss rifles, a 96/11, 1911, K11 and K31 using Lee dies and a Hornady LnL progressive press. The biggest problem I had was getting the overall length right. I could chamber a round in the K31 and if I ejected it, sometimes it would leave the bullet in the chamber. Take a sized and capped case and cut a slit in the neck to the shoulder, seat a bullet and then load it in your rifle, slowly eject it and then measure the length, set your dies for a overall length a touch shorter.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates