Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If the OP wants to make absolutely sure the ammo is non-corrosive then Fred's idea to test is good advice. I have always tested a lot of unknown ammo to determine if corrosive or non-corrosive. This is not a high-tech procedure, but the results have positive indicators. There are ways to detonate the primer without firing it through a rifle, just wear gloves and eye protection as a precaution.

2. Default

Thanks for the replies. I will pass the info along to my friend and he can decide whether he wants to fire it or not. I was more concerned if it was loaded correctly for the M1 Garand. I am well versed on corrosive primed ammo. I use lots of it in my Mosins and Mausers. I clean properly and have never had corrosion problems with any surplus ammo in that regard.

I'm comfortable that it is an OK load for Garands and is probably NOT corrosive. Again, thanks for the input.

3. Default

I think this was for sale at Midway a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by XLF30 View Post
    I think this was for sale at Midway a few months ago.
    You are correct. They claimed it was non-corrosive.
    "In God We Trust"

5. Default

I bought a 400 round can of this POF .30-06 ammo from Midway when it was on sale last year. Most of the head stamps were late '60's but a few were '70 and '71. I've shot all of it at this point without any issues in my Garand (cycled perfectly), 1903A3 and M1917. It worked as good as the HXP and LC I've shot and I didn't see any side effects.

Of note, somewhere on another forum there was a link to a group that had done a test of this POF head stamped .30-06 ammo and they found that it was not corrosive FWIW (as advertised by Midway).

Stretch

6. Default

delete
    Last edited by Stretch32; 03-24-2016 at 07:02.

7. Default

Yeah, I got some of the Paki ammo. Shoots blam-blam-blam-pop-blam-blam-pop-blam-blam-blam-blam-pop-blam-pop-blam.

I would use it in a bolt-action, or save what's left for reserve ammo.

Real crap, IMHO, every time it goes "pop", I check to make sure the barrel is clear.