Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pakistani Garand ammo

A friend recently acquired a Garand in a trade. Included in this was some M1 ammo. It is packed in cardboard boxes each holding 2 loaded en bloc clips. Markings on the boxes are POF - DPA - 30 inch - MK4Z. Date is 1968. The only thing I know is that it is Pakistani. I advised him NOT to shoot it until we checked it out, that's why I'm posting this. Is this stuff corrosive? Is it a proper load for the M1 Garand? Should he shoot it or just break it down for components? The ammo and the boxes are in good shape. It appears to have been correctly stored. I understand this should probably be posted on the Ammo Dump forum, but I figured it would be seen by more people here. Any help with this is appreciated.

If it was my rifle I wouldn't use it. As I reload I would tear it down and save the components, then reload with known powder. It might be berdan primed anyway but a off chance corrosive.

If it were me ,I would not shoot it in my M1 and save it to shoot in my !903's and clean as corrosive.

A terrorist on the assembly line in the ammo factory may have put some C-4 in it.

The ammo is made for use in the Garand. It's standard M2 ball, berdan primed and NON CORROSIVE!

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    The ammo is made for use in the Garand. It's standard M2 ball, berdan primed and NON CORROSIVE!
    I've done searches on the web and find a lot of people saying they wouldn't use it, many don't have a reason other than it's Pakistani. Some cite POF ammo as being erratic (ballistically) and inaccurate. I am just concerned with whether or not it has corrosive primers, and if the loading is within specs for use in Garands.
    Can you tell me where you got your info concerning these points? I don't want to tell my friend it's OK without being certain.
    Personally, I wouldn't shoot it, but that's mostly because I have other ammo I'm certain of to use.

"...The ammo is made for use in the Garand..." Pakistan's Army used the M1 Rifle, at the very least, during their war with India in 1965. Top middle picture. You'll see FN's and AK's in other pictures. Logistics nightmare. https://www.pakistanarmy.gov.pk/
    However, POF ammo does have a reputation for, um, inconsistencies, but it's not going to hurt your rifle. All of the POF advertised on-line is advertised as non-corrosive Berdan primed.
    Corrosive ammo is just a nuisance. Isn't really a big deal if you have fresh water on hand. Hot is good. Corrosive or not has nothing to do with accuracy though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

8. Default

To test the ammo, pull a bullet and dump the powder. Take a finishing nail and grind off any zinc plating on the end of it just to make sure there is bare steel exposed. Put the nail in the case cleaned end at the primer and chamber in a bolt rifle, aim up and fire the primer. Clean the rifle as you would if the primer is corrosive. A couple days later look and see if there is rust on it.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    A terrorist on the assembly line in the ammo factory may have put some C-4 in it.
    Now thats funny right there........

The problem with POF ammo was with the .303 made by that armory. The ammo was OK except that a lot of it was stored badly and there were a lot of click bangs and just clicks. This 30-06 ammo is excellent ammo and as good as any surplus ammo out there. (unless it is loaded with C-4.) If you need ammo you had best get it now as there is no other surplus 30-06 out there right now waiting to be imported.