Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

VN Vets not keeping contact was pretty much the norm for several of the excellent reasons posted.

A lot of units have associations with websites that often help guy link up.

"Together We served is a good site for this as well."

Some units with more cohesion, like Marines or SF tended to stay more in touch, if only through unit associations and reunions.

I belong to the SF association and attend a lot of functions. Just good to be around that type of people with shared unique experiences.
    Next week there is a big ceremony at Ft Campbell where 5th Group is going back to the striped Beret Flash.
    Looking forward to seeing a couple old team mates and guys I have gotten to know over some internet groups.
    Last summer I met a couple team mates at the convention in Seattle. One was a WW2 Luftwaffe vet, still going strong.

Thumbs up

Fortunately I did not encounter any of the anti war Krap at the airport or else where when I came back in Mar 70. Had I have done so I would have very happily put the SOB, and any of his buddies, in the hospital!!!
    Why was this so? I came home on a medivac flight and was shuffled from one hair farce bird to another at the different stops till I got to Buckly ANGB and then by an Army medic bus to Fitzsimons Army Hospital in Aurora, Colo.
    Sure wish I could make the festivities at Ft Campbell, but no way.
    Will try to make SFA, SOA and Mike Force (if there is one?) conventions this year.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

During my second tour in Viet Nam, some assholes found out my wife (who was pregnant and working as a nurse in Philadelphia) was married to a soldier-- they would try to make her cry by taunting her and telling her they hoped her husband would be killed.

When I came home wounded, still wearing bandages, some asshole in Batesville, Arkansas, spat at me.

Mine was similar to Vern's. Coming home through LAX in Nov '68 we had cups of blood, urine and who knows what else thrown at us. Cops stood by and watched. The freakin police laughed and said the kids had a right to protest. I guess we lost our rights for protecting theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Mine was similar to Vern's. Coming home through LAX in Nov '68 we had cups of blood, urine and who knows what else thrown at us. Cops stood by and watched. The freakin police laughed and said the kids had a right to protest. I guess we lost our rights for protecting theirs.
    I note nowadays if a man simply gently pulls a reporter gal away from close contact with a candidate, that's "assault." But spitting, throwing filth, and other acts against soldiers is "legitimate protest."

Sign of the times I am afraid.
    I had started to talk about this in an earlier post and thought I had better leave it alone " again ". I was on a Braniff sp flight from Danang. We stopped at Guam and then onto LAX. Before we were allowed off the aircraft some MPs gave us a welcome back to the world speach. They let us know we were going to meet some people in the airport that, did not like what we had done in Viet Nam. I don't know how anyone would know, but these MPs said that for any of us Marines, if we even touched anyone of the protesters, we would spend the rest of our lives in Portsmouth and the Army guys would be going to Leavenworth. What a wonderful greeting. I think most of us felt like kicking the doo doo out of the woosie MPs, but we understood they were just doing their job.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Sign of the times I am afraid.
    I had started to talk about this in an earlier post and thought I had better leave it alone " again ". I was on a Braniff sp flight from Danang. We stopped at Guam and then onto LAX. Before we were allowed off the aircraft some MPs gave us a welcome back to the world speach. They let us know we were going to meet some people in the airport that, did not like what we had done in Viet Nam. I don't know how anyone would know, but these MPs said that for any of us Marines, if we even touched anyone of the protesters, we would spend the rest of our lives in Portsmouth and the Army guys would be going to Leavenworth. What a wonderful greeting. I think most of us felt like kicking the doo doo out of the woosie MPs, but we understood they were just doing their job.
    The reason they said that was the Army and Marines realized what would happen if combat veterans defended themselves against those scumbags.

Yep, exactly. I had way more against them than the gentle Vietnamese farmers we trampled over. Screw political correctness.

We don't say they're "Politically Correct." We say they're "Anal Retentive."

Spread the word.

I will try to remember that, but the memory ain't was it used to was. Now , what was I thinking? Couldn't have been very important.