Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 03 Stock Hardware Question

Would the bayonet lug on a 950,000 range M1903 be marked with a H, or would that be post war?
    Thanks.

Yes, it would be so-marked. The "H" stamp was used well before WWI.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rock Island front bands didn't use the H stamp by the way. Just Springfield.

Thanks for the clarification - the rifle was in the 900,000 range, so I didn't think that was a factor.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Rick, I knew that you knew it was a Sprinfield receiver, but my comment was for the poster. I just wanted him to know that any front barrel band without the H stamped on the bayonet lug was made at Rock Island Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Rick, I knew that you knew it was a Sprinfield receiver, but my comment was for the poster. I just wanted him to know that any front barrel band without the H stamped on the bayonet lug was made at Rock Island Arsenal.
    +1
    --C.S. Lewis

Forgive me for laughing. I needed some humor on this cold winter day.

Springfield Armory bands made prior to 1908 didn't have the "H" either. So Rock Island was not the only one who made bands sans "H".

J.B.

I had forgot to add that it is a Springfield receiver.
    I never new that a front band without the H was RIA made (minus the pre 1908 Springfield bands as mentioned by J Beard). Thanks for the info.

To which I would add the milled upper bands made for the Remington M1903 during WWII. They also lacked the "H" stamp.
    --C.S. Lewis

John that's a good thing to know. Thanks. Hopefully now, anybody reading this thread with such a front band on their correct pre 1908 Sprinfield will think twice about switching it out for a later H stamped band.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-14-2016 at 11:01.