Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally starting my project

Looking for some assistance from someone with experience with JBWeld, or a similar substance. I need to make a piece about 2.5" x .75" x .625" with an "L" at one end, about 1" (total height) with a .25" thick "arm". The part, once finished, will NOT be subject to ANY stress, though there will be a relatively substantial triangular hole in the "L" arm, leaving very thin walls at a couple of spots. I will be able to use a perforated steel armature inside much of the shape.

Question #1: Is this doable? Alternatives would be walnut, painted and rubbed with graphite (which I think is too weak) and machined steel (which is too expensive - unless someone might care to trade something [no cash] for the work??)

Question #2: once finished, can JBW be polished, or at least smoothed, and coated with cold blue?

If you haven't guessed by now, I am, finally, going to start work on a "mockup" 28" barrel M1882 short rifle, using my original triangular rod bayonet, and only junk parts. Nothing good, or valuable, will be harmed in this process.

Thanks!

see pm

it can be done but it won't take a blue and will not take a shiny polish like metal but you can obtain a nice smooth surface. To increase the strength of the epoxy, especially in the thin parts mix some chopped cotton or glass fibers or other short fibers in the epoxy before moulding the part. This will make the part much stronger and is commonly done in making aircraft glue joints and parts. It might be possible to have the part plated or painted to give the desired finsih. Maybe bronzed like a baby shoe?
    Last edited by 13Echo; 01-29-2015 at 08:06.

Looks like I can get it done in steel, thanks to a very generous offer from another poster.

Don't think the bronzing would be a good idea!

I'll take pics as I go along.

Pics! Pics!

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Patience, patience - have only had the idea for 20 years - some things cannot be rushed.

[QUOTE=Dick Hosmer;403564]Looks like I can get it done in steel, thanks to a very generous offer from another poster.

looks like what goes around, comes around.
    it's not like you haven't been helping people out for years on these boards.

You could be right, I hope so.

In addition to the rib - which issue has been solved due to the generosity of 11mm - am also looking for a receiver as close to 197500 as possible, and a complete early 1873 (no stacking swivel) upper band assembly.

Interested in trade, if at all possible. I'd rather give more value in trade than sink more $$$$$ into what is truly a whim.

10. Default

i have a receiver marked 481698 that i'm doing anything with