Thread: It's the color.

1. Default It's the color.

Kind of stands out doesn't it?

Wee auction with no online presence. In a town with a population of maybe 100. Twas a beautiful thing.

Yes, I took it home with me of course. It needed a home.

They're still out there. That makes two from farm auctions.

Tis a good thing to have lots of stampings.

Tis a good thing to have lots of stampings.

Low miles.

Talked the the guy that was selling his stuff. He remembered buying it at Montgomery-Wards. Knew it was an English return. "I only shot enough rounds to sight it in and never shot it again. Lent it to a friend to go deer hunting once but he didn't get anything."

So it was a really nice find. Kicking myself over the 1937 dated K98 (perfect) that I didn't take as I knew I'd be taking this. Should have taken both.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 08-13-2016 at 01:04.

Stock looks good on the M1. Col. Gilbert Stewart June 1940 to June 1942. What is the serial number range?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Stock looks good on the M1. Col. Gilbert Stewart June 1940 to June 1942. What is the serial number range?
    First group of rifles to go over. 372K. Other one I have is 388K. Both have October of '41 barrels.

Stuff either appears in ones, threes, or tens for me. Thus far it was "one." For 12 long years it stayed "one." Now that thus surfaced another will appear shortly. Just works that way for me.

I just picked up 3748xx

And I have an all-original 310xxx with an August '41 barrel, London proofed, "Suncorite"-painted gas cylinder, lock, and lock screw.

Tuna, There were still SA SPG no trap stocks as late as s/n 67935 (Sept/Oct 1940) check Duff's WW2 book for ref

Default early barrel with London proofs

this S-A 8-40 barrel is in excellent condition and with the London proofsP1010024_1_0020_020.jpg

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    this S-A 8-40 barrel is in excellent condition and with the London proofsP1010024_1_0020_020.jpg
    Exact same marks. Replace the "8" with an "10" and it'd be it.

Back to the original photo and thread title. For those not aware of what I meant - it's the handguard on the M1. Clear red band. When one sees that red band one had better go look.

Nice!

Nice pick. Early rifles are great.