Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Last Government Made '03 barrels

I have a 1903 barrel which I bought on the for sale/wanted part of this forum which bears a date of 9/44 and is marked SA, for Springfield. I have since seen one for sale marked 10/44 and SA. Just curious as to when the last replacement barrels for the '03 were made for the Government at Springfield and at the official contractors.
    I find it interesting that they were still planning on rebuilding the '03 rifle that late in WW2 so they would be making new barrels for them in late 1944, given the existence of the 03/A3 and the widespread acceptance and use of the Garand. Brophy states that nearly 61,000 were repaired and overhauled in 1945, whereas only about 12,000 were rebuilt in 42-44.
    Thoughts?

9-44 SA is the latest Springfield barrel I've seen, but a 10-44 is possible. I have seen a 2-45 Sedgely barrel, which is the absolute latest.

Springfield continued to make M1903 parts through Fiscal 1945 (which encompassed the last part of 1944 and the first part of 1945), including barrels. I've always theorized that most of the parts were in the "1944 part" of that FY.

While M1903s were definitely on their way out, they continued to be used in "secondary" uses and, until Japan actually surrendered in August, 1945, there was no definite end date in sight.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

My rifle has a well used SA 10-44 barrel.

4. Default

Brophy's SA book shows 39,855 '03 (not '03A3) barrels made there in FY46 (yes, '46).

Could be normal government budget games, but as late as early spring '45, the War Dept was implementing the French rearmament program. Troop strengths jumped around quite a bit, but 460k might be close for the number of new troops. With M1917s almost all gone, it could be that the WD was intending to use 03/03A1/03A3 instead as the WD had been resisting giving the French carbines and Garands in any significant numbers. The approaching surrender of Germany plus some DeGaulle-like behavior from DeGaulle brought a sudden end to the rearmament program.

One other possible contributor to demand when the FY46 budget was being prepared: planning for indirect redeployment to the Pacific by ETO/MTO units after V-E Day (that is, redeployment through the US) required additional quantities of equipment for training as redeploying units' gear was to be packed and shipped from Europe.

Of course, had the invasion of Japan happened, maintenance stocks would have been needed in theater.

What did Yogi Berra say: predictions are hard, especially about the future.

I've got Brophy's later book, "Arsenal of Freedom" and it shows the last 1903 parts made in FY 1945.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I've got Brophy's later book, "Arsenal of Freedom" and it shows the last 1903 parts made in FY 1945.
    You should ask for a refund as it seems to be missing p. 371.

That's what I get for not checking. Springfield did indeed make 39, 855 "M1903A1" barrels in FY 1946. (in addition to 5,037 mount base shims!).

OK, anyone see a 1945-marked M1903 or M1903 barrel? As I said, I have seen 1945 Sedgely barrels.

(Maybe they were kept in storage together with the elusive 7-49 M1 barrels I've been looking for!!)
    --C.S. Lewis

1944 is the latest 1903 SA barrel iv seen.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

The last M1903 barrels made at Springfield Armory were dated S.A./11-44. And as Rick the Librarian pointed out, the last contractor-made barrels were made by Sedgley and were dated 2-45.

J.B.

Interesting that quite a few barrels were listed as completed in FY 1946, when (if you go by the date stamped on the barrels) they were not. Any idea why? Maybe ordered but not completed?
    --C.S. Lewis