Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marine with a 1903A4 on Cape Gloucester

A friend sent me this picture, I think he snagged it off a Facebook group. It's of a 1903A4 with the 1st Marine Division on Cape Gloucester. I only know of about three other pictures with Marines and the A4, so I thought a few of you might really enjoy this.

Thanks Steve. Very interesting shots!

Jim

3. Default

Interesting knife and sheath in the image.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

This is a great picture. They are no doubt at least two Marines and maybe a corpsman in the picture. The knife looks like a M3 which was issued to USAAF and USA troops. He may have swapped something for it. The shirt the man is wearing next to the man holding the rifle looks Army issue. The man holding the rifle is wearing a shirt I can't ID. Its not a Marine Para Smock but it does have a camo pattern.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Whats on/over the butt plate of the rifle??? A pad of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    The man holding the rifle is wearing a shirt I can't ID. Its not a Marine Para Smock but it does have a camo pattern.
    I think it's a set of those one piece HBT Camo Coveralls. On Cape Gloucester you see a lot of Army Clothes and gear on the Marines. I've heard several say there were supply issues with the 1st Marine Div there.

You're correct. There were supply issues for the USMC. They had to use army issue with a mix of Usmc gear. This wasn't corrected until after Gloucester.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    This is a great picture. They are no doubt at least two Marines and maybe a corpsman in the picture. The knife looks like a M3 which was issued to USAAF and USA troops. He may have swapped something for it. The shirt the man is wearing next to the man holding the rifle looks Army issue. The man holding the rifle is wearing a shirt I can't ID. Its not a Marine Para Smock but it does have a camo pattern.
    Here's another picture of that same style shirt. This is a marine on New Georgia.
    post-274-1244660902.jpg

The 2nd Div during the invasion of Tarawa had the Usmc camo gear for some reason the 1st didn't get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Whats on/over the butt plate of the rifle??? A pad of some sort?
    Nothing on the stock . Under high magnification there are a lot of small , rounded , dished out divits or dings of different sizes that still look to have finish in them and three large gouges in a row deep enough to go through the finish cut in some sort of pattern design .
    Art work ? Kill count ? No idea.
    Chris