Default New member trapdoor owner

Hi there I'm a new member have lurked and browsed this site a few times and decided best to join up.
    I have a 1880 Trapdoor in very nice condition all original with bayonet. Inherited from Great Grandpa thru grandpa to me. Was going to use it for shooting some and decided not to.
    Instead decided to collect the parts to assemble one from parts to make a shooter. Started using ebay to get stuff and made out really well especially with the barrel got one with a perfect bore it appears to have been used very little only one bad thing is the muzzel is pretty rusted for the first 1/2" to 5/8" in haven't decided what to do yet.
    So now I have two of the things, "yea they multiply like rabbits".
    Wish to say high to Dick Hossmer from Jim Olson we have talked by email some about both guns.
    It seems I got lucky? with the parts as receiver sr#324063 1883/84, breech block 1884, the stock is SWP1883 and the lock plate is correct lettering and Eagle shield. Only off part is the trigger assy. it is from a ram rod bayonet model, wanted it as it looks good more modern.
    So any advice and helpful hints from Dick and all would be greatly appreciated I also am on a couple of BPCR sites also.

Jim
    Last edited by alfajim; 02-28-2016 at 06:45. Reason: thinking keyboard

if you ask some specific question about a part or assembly procedure i'm sure these fine gentlemen on this forum would be more than happy to answer you. you'll never know how that barrel shoots until you shoot it. sometimes crappy looking barrels shoot surprisingly well. have you been to this site? http://trapdoorcollector.com/ or this one? http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/cgi...etin/config.pl
    Last edited by free1954; 03-02-2016 at 04:28.

Does Al Frasca still deal in Trapdoor parts? Al used to be the TD go to guy...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Yes, he does - www.trapdoorcollector.com

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Yes I have been there picked up all the necessary little things I need to put the big parts together. Especially the the latch assy and firing pin and screws. Also the lock plate tang and trigger plate screws. I got two late steel firing pins one for a spare was thinking that I should get a bronze one also is that good idea?
    I also picked up some stuff from a seller on ebay "Grandpa's Guns Parts" a new extractor and main spring also extractor spring and pin and latch spring all new. He has a lot of NOS Springfield Military parts for the 45-70 & 50-70 for those interested. Also a lot of rear sights including Buffingtons.