Default Another Sporterized O3A3 Issue

We are also converting a previously sporterized C stock as a group effort.

We were lucky that the C stock was cut a few inches in front of the second stock band, well in front of the most forward stock bolt and horizontal boss. However, we find that placing a standard O3A3 barrel and receiver into the C stock, the barrel assembly rocks back and fourth on top of the forward boss (where the front stock bolt is).

Making numerous measurements, it appears that the forward boss is too high by approximately .015". In this position, the barrel pushes up on the top handguard, leaving a large space between it and the bottom stock.

The immediate correction would be to mill the top of the boss by about .015" which leads us to ask the following question:

Is there a reason why a standard O3A3 barrel assembly doesn't fit into this C stock? Is there a measurement difference between a sniper barrel and a standard O3A3 barrel assembly?

Thanks...
    Last edited by TomCulver; 02-28-2016 at 11:42.

How is the rear tang area? Over time, there was a lot of oil and other things that got down in that area and the wood often punked. Shims were used to raise that back up and thus restoring the barrel tip back down to contact the last 1" of the stock bed. I'm not clear if you have restored the front of the C stock but I'm assuming you have.
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Your post is confusing, it sounds like you're putting a barreled action into a cut down stock? if this is the case the barrel will not set in the bottom of what is now the tip of the stock. Original full length stocks had a raised boss at the tip where the barrel contacted the stock. The rest of the barrel channel was an open area around the barrel.

Being a used stock, do not remove any material from the area you have colored yellow. You will diminish or eliminate any clamping force and the accuracy will be horrible.
    As far as barrels, no, they were all the same.
    Last edited by Randy A; 03-02-2016 at 07:43.

4. Default

Tom, I have a 1903 Remington in a Keystone "C" stock with the same issue. I shimmed the tang as was suggested by Kurt. This fixed the problem and the rifle shoots great. As the tang area was not crushed to begin with the tang now sits a little proud of the stock. I think I'm finally getting over that though.