Default Looking for 1868-1870 model 50-70 barrel

Found it. Please see posts below.

I'm looking for a barrel for a 1868 receiver I already have. Needs to have a shootable bore.

Anybody have one or might know where one is hiding?

TKacook
    Last edited by Tkacook; 04-10-2016 at 01:43. Reason: Update
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

The barrels for the M1868 and the M1870 are not the same, actually. I don't know if they are or are not interchangeable for installation, but the M1868 was the last model using the sleeved, old stock barrels at Springfield. The M1870 barrels were the first of the purpose-built barrels that were made for the 50-70. Like any transition I suppose there could be some overlap between the late 1868's and early 1870's, but I'm wondering about any alterations that might have been made to later 1868's if they were going to use the new barrels. I'll bet Dick has all the answers for us. Maybe you can let us know the serial number for your 1868 if you think it's one of the late ones.

It is not whether or not the barrels were sleeved (and most 1868s and all 1870s were not) but the fact that the 1868 and 1870 receivers are of different length - hence the threaded shank is also different. You were probably thinking of the 1866, where ALL barrels were sleeved and there was no receiver at all. If the receiver is longer than usual and has a number on the left side, it is an 1868. If it is the same length as a .45-70, but is absolutely flat all the way across the top rear, and has no number there, or at the left front edge, it is an 1870.

I have never taken either an 1868 or an 1870 apart, but I do have a .45-70 barrel threaded into an 1868 receiver (which should not be possible) that I have never dismounted to see how it was done. I assume the threads were re-cut and a new shoulder created.

Not much of an answer - sorry!

Thanks for the additional information. I have a long nose receiver with the serial number one the left. S/N 49659. It's the 1868 receiver. I didn't think about the difference in the shank threads. Very valuable reminder.

I'm looking for a barrel to cut to carbine length. I have a modified musket stock and a bunch of parts. Really down to needing the barrel. Always wanted a 50-70 carbine and there is NO way I could afford an original 1870 model,

Been looking on eBay for almost a year. No luck. I'll be patient.

TKacook

Well I got my barrel finally. Came with the receiver attached so I guess I have an extra 1868 receiver and tang if someone needs one. The one I just purchased is S/N 36883. Barrel and receiver match, so I will use them together. The end of the barrel is badly pitted, but otherwise it's in good shape. I will post pictures soon.

Andy

Here are some pictures. Still can't decide whether to cut it or not. The rear sight has been modified long ago. If I keep it full length I will have to do something with the muzzle end and crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I decided to cut it. The pitting and damage in the last 3 inches was just to severe. I will post pictures when I get a bit further along. The exterior is cleaning up nicely and is slowly returning to the original armory bright.

Does anyone have a picture of an original 1868 carbine front sight?

Do you have my little .58/.50 book? There is a picture of the Ward-Burton carbine sight which would be close enough. Sights were two-piece, like later .45-70s. Allin (trapdoor) carbines had brass blades, those of the Ward-Burton were steel. S&S sells repro bases which would save you a lot of machining.

Dick,
    Yes I have your book. Page 200. Thanks!!