Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd upper band

Default Odd upper band

1892 Band.jpg
    This is a photo of the bayonet band on my otherwise original appearing early (132xxx) 1898 Krag. It appears to be an 1892 model upper band, modified and re-blued to fit this rifle. There is no evidence that the loop for the cleaning rod, which should be there, was removed or filed off, although that could have been done very cleanly and it does not show. I have not removed the band from the rifle yet, as it will not clear the sight blade, though I did loosen it to look at the inside to see what happened to the cleaning rod tube..
    From everything I have read here , any part that would fit could be used on any Krag, during any period in Government service.
    The stock on this rifle does not show sanding, as the 1898 cartouche and the circle P are clear, and the other parts seem "right" and worn in equally.
    The question I ask is why anybody would put this band on the rifle, since the "correct" one is common enough?

Good morning John. What is "odd" about it? Looks perfectly correct to me - though I cannot see the upper surface. If you refer to (what you are thinking is) the missing slit, that did not come until 1901, so band appears to be just fine at 132K. Hard to say from just that pic if it has been reblued, though a rub with an oily rag would be good for it.

Actually, the fact that the band does not have the slit provides at least some evidence for the rifle NOT having been apart, since the slit one would likely have been added if it had been rebuilt, at least after 1901.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-26-2016 at 08:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Good morning John. What is "odd" about it? Looks perfectly correct to me - though I cannot see the upper surface. If you refer to (what you are thinking is) the missing slit, that did not come until 1901, so band appears to be just fine at 132K. It does look refinished, though.
    Well, Dick, If I had gone and looked at one of my 1896 rifles that has not been re-built, I guess I could have saved myself the trouble of making this post. Boy, do I feel silly.

This is why I **really** like this site!

jn

5. Default

Mallory lists fiscal year 1900 as the time period that the slot was added. You would figure , then , that early 1898 rifles would not have the slot in the front band .

first of all this post is my kind of post. Literally.

I was under the impression that most all rifles that got sent in for inspection, repair as needed got the old barrel band replaced with the newer one with the slit. No?
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

7. Default

I have not seen data on this. However, a rifle as originally issued, would have parts produced in that time period. If worked on at Springfield parts may well have been updated. If around the campfire, anything goes.

To be clear there can be a difference between "as originally issued" and "as it left the service".

This is an important concept in collecting and evaluating Krag rifles.

I would highly recommend Joe Farmers book in regard to this.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Excellent advice re Joe Farmer.

Some points that frequently get lost in our (very interesting nonetheless) impassioned discussions over angels and pinheads are these:

!. The items were tools to be used, and the government was - unlike today - extremely frugal, leading to some mixtures which can seem unusual today.
    2. Further stirring the pot, many - perhaps most - of the military arms of the period went through the hands of the big surplus dealers at some point in time.
    3. None of the prior owners/users had ANY regard whatsoever for keeping things straight for future hobbiests!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 03-01-2016 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daiute View Post
    To be clear there can be a difference between "as originally issued" and "as it left the service".

This is an important concept in collecting and evaluating Krag rifles.

I would highly recommend Joe Farmers book in regard to this.
    Oh, I looked hard in Farmer's book before placing my original (and somewhat embarrassing) post. I just did not see the trees for the forest.
    No doubt about it. Farmer''s book is the go-to source now, and I have the other Krag books commonly cited.
    I think Farmer's ideas expressed in his Krag book are a good test for assessing any military rifle from the old days.
    However, a tool is only good if you use it correctly.