Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7.7x58 mm Jap Ammo available

Just thought I would let everyone know... I was at Cabelas in Dundee Michigan last Saturday, and I found brand new boxes of Graf and Sons 7.7x58 Jap ammo on the shelf. There were two different loadings: 150 grain soft point for $28.95 a box, and 180 grain S5T point (plastic tip) for $30.95 a box. Both use the Privi brass, which is already annealed and great for reloading! I bought 2 boxes of the SST bullet rounds, and I'm probably going back next weekend to get more! Considering the scarcity of Norma, and the complete disappearance of Hornady 7.7 ammo... this is great news!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I keep having to stop myself mid sentence when people ask if you can get 7.7JAP. I start to tell them it is available at Academy. But then I have to clarify, "....at some Academys, some of the time." Some will have 6.5 and 7.7, others will have one but not the other, and some will have neither. This is the main reason I don't shoot my Arisakas.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

3. Default

Cabelas online has Norma and Graf in stock. Ventura Ammunition has reloads but I think pricey. SG Ammo has the Hornaday 150SST. Its out there. I buy a little at a time to build up inventory if the price is somewhat acceptable.

That's good to know gtodan... Thanks!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

5. Default

I understand this is not a reloading forum but years ago a shooter, collector, reloader was trying to locate 7.7 cases, he was a serious shooter. I formed 80 +/- a few cases and shipped them to him. When I formed the cases I formed 20 cases that were minimum length, I formed 20 cases that were go-gage length, I formed 20 cases that were no go-gage length and the rest were field gage length.

The logic; he did not know the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face. The minimum length sized cases allowed the bolt to close, go-gage length sized cases allowed the bolt to close with slight resistance; the no go-gage length cases would not allow the bolt to close nor would the field gage length sized cases.

To use the no go-gage length cases and the field gage length cases he had to size and trim the cases.

F. Guffey

If you can't find brass, just form it out of 30/06 brass. Take the capping pin out of the die, lube up the case and run it into the sizing die, trim to length.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

Midway has had Privi Partizan 7.7x58 brass on a pretty regular basis now. The Privi brass is WAYYYYYYYY less expensive than the Norma brass too!

8. Default

Does the chamber length vary that much in these rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I understand this is not a reloading forum but years ago a shooter, collector, reloader was trying to locate 7.7 cases, he was a serious shooter. I formed 80 +/- a few cases and shipped them to him. When I formed the cases I formed 20 cases that were minimum length, I formed 20 cases that were go-gage length, I formed 20 cases that were no go-gage length and the rest were field gage length.

The logic; he did not know the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face. The minimum length sized cases allowed the bolt to close, go-gage length sized cases allowed the bolt to close with slight resistance; the no go-gage length cases would not allow the bolt to close nor would the field gage length sized cases.

To use the no go-gage length cases and the field gage length cases he had to size and trim the cases.

F. Guffey

Type 99 rifles have a very generous chamber... presumably to account for dirt and debris in the field of battle. When resizing my brass, they're always expanded to the point that they require a lot of lube and a lot of effort to size! As for variance in chamber length, I can't really say... but as far as chamber diameter - especially in the neck area, they usually have tons of room!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gtodan View Post
    Does the chamber length vary that much in these rifles?

No, I did not know the length of his chamber so I formed the cases for different length chamber. He loaded the minimum length cases then chambered and fired then; that meant his chamber was go-gage length. He also loaded the go-gage length cases and then chambered and fired them. The no go-gage length cases would not chamber.

F. Guffey